the average

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

the average

by afnanmoh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:21 am
I face some difficulty in understanding this question:

A particular dentists's office subscribes to Days, Entertainment Hourly, and North American Flyfishing Review. It pays a total of $118.05 yearly for these subscriptions. What's the average annual savings off the newsstand price?

1- Each of these magazines releases new issues weekly.
2- The cover price for Days is twice that of Entertainment Hourly, which is half that of North American Flyfishing REview, which costs $16 per issue.

I could not get the number 2?? Does it mean that Days costs $16. Entertainment costs $8. North American costs $8 ?

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 am
Statement 2 states

Cover price of North American Flyfishing Review = $16
Cover price of Entertainment Hourly = $8 and
Cover price of Days = $16

Can you try solving now ?
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by afnanmoh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:24 am
The average annual saving off will be: $1885 ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:43 pm
afnanmoh wrote:I face some difficulty in understanding this question:

A particular dentists's office subscribes to Days, Entertainment Hourly, and North American Flyfishing Review. It pays a total of $118.05 yearly for these subscriptions. What's the average annual savings off the newsstand price?

1- Each of these magazines releases new issues weekly.
2- The cover price for Days is twice that of Entertainment Hourly, which is half that of North American Flyfishing REview, which costs $16 per issue.

I could not get the number 2?? Does it mean that Days costs $16. Entertainment costs $8. North American costs $8 ?
The wording of this question is terrible. The question asks about the 'newsstand price', and Statement 2 talks about the 'cover price'. Are these the same? I don't know how we're supposed to guess that. I also have no idea what the 'average annual savings' could mean. What are we supposed to be averaging? Without knowing the answer to that, it's hard to know whether it matters that in some years, a weekly magazine will put out 52 issues, and in some years 53 issues. In any case, it's a very poorly designed question and I'd just ignore it.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com