Low Gpa High GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Low Gpa High GMAT

by dddanny2006 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:05 pm
Hi.
Im a Mechanical Engineer by profession.My graduation Percentage here in India is 55%.My GMAT score is 740.Can you tell me if Im good enough for the Ivey league programs or my chances in securing an admission.I also have 3years of Engineering experience.
Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:12 pm
Dear dddanny2006,

It is impossible to say based on the minimal information you posted. Your GMAT score is certainly competitive, as it is above the average for most MBA programs. Your GPA is low, but the GMAT will help mitigate it to some degree, but you do want to utilize an optional essay or additional info paragraph when possible to highlight how your performance in business school will be different. While I think you have a chance at a top MBA program with a strong total application package, it is always prudent to have an appropriate mix of MBA programs on your target list to give yourself the best chance of success.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by dddanny2006 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 am
Hi Lisa
Am I a potential Ivy-League candidate with that Score and GPA?Can you tell me whats the equivalent of 55% interms of US-GPA.I have 3years of Work-EX.
Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 am
Hi dddanny2006,

I recommend you read this below case study of an Indian engineer who was accepted into Columbia, Tuck, and MIT:

https://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Regarding your applicant, top MBA programs will be not only looking for strong numbers, but also for candidates with excellent work experience, recommendations, and personal essays. It is not possible to answer your earlier question based on the minimum information written.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me