Queen's Reputation ?

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

Queen's Reputation ?

by singhsa » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:53 pm
I've just been admitted to The Queens School of Business, Canada. I'm absolutely clueless whether I should take up their offer or not. Though the school has been ranked as #1 in canada and #2 non-US School, it is literally absent from FT and economist rankings. How is the reputation of the school in Canada and US? Is it preferred over Rotman, Mcgill, Ivey and Schulich? Why is the average salary so low compared to other schools? Should I pick Marshall or Kelley to Queens? Pl guide

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmatpup » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 pm
I have heard that Queen's in Canada is actually a reputable university in the country. It is in the same ranking as Rotman, Schulich and Ivey. Congrats on the acceptances!

Just curious - what is your GPA, gmat score, etc?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by singhsa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:57 am
Thanks gmatpup. My profile :

GPA - 3.3
GMAT - 690
Work ex - 4 years (Entrepreneurial)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tariqal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:00 pm
Ditto to gmatpup - Queen's is indeed a highly reputable school in Canada, however, their international reputation may not be as up to par. The reason you do not see them in FT and some other rankings is because apparently the school had issues and reservations with the way the rankings systems worked and, thus, pulled out. This is not entirely uncommon, but it does make the process of choosing the school over others a little more difficult (whether this should happen is a whole other debate on its own), especially for international students.

I, also, had to debate choosing a Canadian school over schools like Kelley in the US, but ended up choosing to stay in Canada because I saw myself pursuing my career here and I also benefited from local fees, etc. It all depends on where you see yourself going and what fits your profile and aspirations more, to be honest. In terms of coursework, Kelley and Queen's would probably be about the same, though the latter is a one year program and, thus, likely more intense and provides no opportunity for an internship. All things to consider.