Why do i see only low scores since past one month??

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Since past one month, I keep seeing people posting low scores(600-670) on actual GMAT, even though in the practice tests, scores were above 700!!

is it because of new focus of GMAT on meaning and concision in SC section?Im freaking out.. i have to take gmat soon, and im wondering that people who took the test before August are lucky chapppies!

by MOnQuest » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:48 am
I can't speak for others but I gave my GMAT last Saturday (Oct 1st) and I haven't really faced any problems in verbal section. I scored a 720 (Q48 V41). My scoring range in practice tests was 730-750 but unlike others, I screwed up in Quant. I never went below 50 in my practice tests but ended up with a 48 on the test day. Verbal score was in line with my GMATPreps.

As far as SC goes, I did notice that the focus was little more on meaning but thanks to these forums, I had time to realign my strategies couple of weeks before the test. In fact, I think the focus on meaning worked in my favor as I'm a non-native speaker and I've always had problems with idioms and other idiomatic nuances. Bottom line - I don't remember being taken aback by any SC question in the real test.

Following are couple of good posts that lists out OG 12 questions in which meaning plays an important role. Fortunately or unfortunately, the answers in these questions also had other grammatical issues that would have helped you choose the correct answer. Approach these questions with an eye out of meaning and you'll get the general idea:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/09/ ... correction

https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-truth-ab ... 76648.html

by lass_insane » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 am
Hey Monquest,

i am non-native speaker too...
and thanks for the links. I am not able to muster courage enough to book a date for GMAT :|
Wish me luck and success.
Please do share your SC strategies with me.. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm
I took the test on the 26th of September. I have taken the test 3 times total over the years and I earned my highest score this past month. I am writing an article about this now, but the short version is that I saw nothing that would indicate that people should receive lower scores than in the past. It may just be the postings that you happen to have seen...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by lass_insane » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:33 pm
Hey David,
will surely read ur post..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Ramneet Singh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 am
Those scores translate to percentiles. a 720 corresponds to approx 94 % ile.If 700 + scores became common, then the percentiles would dwindle. Who would be happy with a 700 + then ?