Less Work Experience - Masters or MBA?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Less Work Experience - Masters or MBA?

by rooneyucr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 am
Hello,
I'll start of with my profile:
-Engineering Degree with a CGPA of 8.05/10 in Mechanical Engineering from Manipal,India
-18 months work experience in IT industry.
I am due to appear for my GMAT on 24th and I am confident of getting atleast a 700 score.

My problem is I can't figure out what colleges and what programmes to apply.Masters in Management or MBA? I don't want to continue in my job.

If I do an MIM from a top college like a HEC-Paris, ESCP, IE etc will it not help me further my career?
Going through the site there seems to be a general pessimism regarding Masters programmes when compared to the MBA ones.I for one am not willing to wait another 2 years to get a shot at MBA.

Could you please recommend a list of colleges and programmes I should be aiming for?(These could include MBA programmes in whom I have a realistic chance in addition to MIM programmes that you feel would be good for me)

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 pm
Dear rooneyucr,

Which program is the right one for you depends on what your career goals are. It is possible the MiM program is the right choice, but you will need to research those potential programs to see if there is a match for your career goals and expectations regarding your graduate school experience. Likewise, you will want to do the same for MBA programs. Many graduates of both programs compete for the same jobs, but there are career paths that the MBA is a better choice for than an MiM. I think you need to take a step back, determine what it is you want from your graduate school experience, prioritize that list, and then evaluate these potential programs against it.

Should you decide the MBA is the better program for you, there is no reason for you to wait if you feel you are ready for school now. It is a bit late in the cycle for Jul/Aug/Sept 2012 start, but you could look at January 2013 and Jul/Aug/Sept 2013 start dates. For tips on identifying programs that are a potential match for you, I encourage you to read our sticky on school selection.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rooneyucr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 pm
Thank You Lisa.