Latino Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Latino Profile Evaluation

by Ambition.10 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:11 pm
Hi Stacy,
Could you please review my profile to see whether my schools of choice are within reach? Thanks for your help!

Key statistics
- 26 years old Male
- Latino Immigrant- ( don't know how relevant my age of emigration, but I was 10)
- 680 GMAT
- 3.3 Undergraduate GPA (Finance & Industrial/Organizational psychology double major) 3.55 last two years.
- Graduated from a competitive public institution
- Completed 2 Fortune 100 Co-ops as an undergraduate, led me to realize I wanted less structure and more opportunity for success and initiative.
- 3 years as a financial analyst for a mid-cap firm in medical devices. Was with the company as it realized the 1 billion dollar revenue threshold.

Extracurricular/Achievements
- Help underprivileged families plan for college savings
- Mentor high school students in college planning/decisions
- Undergraduate collaborative research paper published in a nationally circulated journal
- Have been very successful at my current company by driving financial initiatives as well as organizational effectiveness initiatives.

I am looking at schools primarily in the Northeast in the following order-- NYU, Columbia, Wharton, Yale. Although finance has been in my blood as an undergraduate, and the "sexiness" appeal of Wall Street can be tempting, I really want to get into management consulting or remain in corporate finance but with a bigger firm.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:59 am
Dear Ambition.10,

You have a competitive profile for any program you feel is a good match based on the details in your post. I think you have a chance at the 4 targets you noted, assuming you submit strong packages, but do encourage you to consider adding 1-2 less selective schools to your mix to spread the risk. I also encourage you to focus your post-MBA career goal on one of the two options you mentioned for the purpose of your applications; you want to present as someone who is focused towards a realistic career path.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me