Beaten, but not giving up!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Beaten, but not giving up!

by merina » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:20 am
Different guides have different strategies. I did not follow any. Just did the way that I was most comfortable with. The official guide is a good choice and I would suggest using it in the time just before the exam if you are using other guides too. Do try out the GMATprep. Its predicts score realistically. Manhattan Sentence correction is very useful. So are some notes like Sahil's and Spiderman's available at BTG. Kaplan's materials are good but their practice test is very strict and one might expect to score much more than that. Princeton has an interesting Joe Bloggs feature in quant which might be a good strategy for people who methodically solve quants. I think getting to 710 is very easy. It is steep uphill from there on.
Now, no one can escape Twinsplitter and Ursula. I repeatedly read these amazing individuals' posts.
Last edited by merina on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by bizman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:52 am
Hi Merina,

Congratulations. 710 is an excellent score. Given the lead up to the test, your story is very inspiring. A 710 can get you into most of the top league schools. Also, you have a lot of work experience. I personally feel that you should give it a shot at applying with this score.

You are a fighter. Keep up the spirit.

Regards
Bizman

by merina » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:31 pm
Thank you for the encouragement, Bizman. Actually you are the first person with whom I am sharing this news :)
Last edited by merina on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:24 am
merina, you said you're in your mature age and MBA has been your life dream. Ask yourself what is that exactly you need to study for an MBA at this point in your life? If this were some good 6-8 years back, understandably you could expand your career perspectives. What are you post-MBA plans? Because depending on where one needs to be rather than wants to be, her/his embarking on MBA application task should start. Personally, I feel if you applied to HBS or Wharton, no big importance would be put on your rec-s. Instead Admins might be excited to recruit you in for one simple reason - the consistency in your life through a date of your possible business school application. I wish you great success and do encourage you to apply for all top schools. I am sure you'll get admitted into your likable business school and will grow as another female business rock in good meaning of this word.
Success doesn't come overnight!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:54 am
Hi Merina,

You have stated that MBA was your childhood dream and is your current dream.
What would you like to do after getting MBA?

You have to realize that MBA is not an end - it is just a means to reach your goal.
What is your goal? Running a company? Starting a business? Managing people? Doing research?..

If you state that getting MBA is your goal, I am afraid that the adcoms might not consider your application favorably.

I encourage you to give some thoughts to your post-mba ambitions and articulate it well in your essays.

Wish you all the best.

by merina » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:31 pm
@pemdas Thank you. I did think about your concern. I would rather do what I like even if late rather than not doing it at all simply because I should have done it earlier. Actually, I have only 4 years of work experience after studies which is not that late, I guess (I hope, actually!). Please also let me know what you meant by 'simple reason - the consistency in your life through a date of your possible business school application'. I think I will try to address the concern you raised in the essays. thanks again for the useful tip and good wishes.

@rai_90 Thanks for the post. You have a valid point. I did not realise that I sounded like I want to do an MBA just for the sake of it. Far from it. I will be careful while drafting the essays. Thanks for the advice.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by fareenj » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:29 pm
Marina - 710 is a great score! Congrats, I've been studying for months and have been struggling with this test so to read that after all you went through the months leading up to your exam and still did well, really inspires me that anything is possible. Through all of the struggles you have described you don't seem like someone who gives up, I highly encourage you to apply, good luck!

by merina » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 pm
managed one application. fingers crossed.