Confusing SC

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Confusing SC

by [email protected] » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:58 am
A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.
(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come

According to me A is the right answer. But could anybody tell me why A is not the answer and if not A then wat is the answer.
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by happymanocha » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:42 am
I am confused between B and E. IMO : It should be E.

Explanations:
A - Verb Disagreement. Dioxins.. comes is wrong. it should be Dioxins come.
B - to come does not sound good to me. Though i am confused on this.
C - Verb Disagreement. Same as C.
D - not parallel.
E - Correct.

Do you know the OA?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sappaji » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 am
The correct choice is "E" because "dioxins" can be measured hence it has to be "many of the"

standarad GMATPrep question.

countable and uncountable.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am
IMO E.

A, B, C - much of the construction is wrong, we should be using many here since dioxins are countable. much is used for uncountable nouns such as happiness, money etc.

D - usage of to is wrong here It seems that the academy has concluded two things with the usage of that and to

A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that
many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and
North Americans are exposed to come from the incineration of wastes.

Exposed to what ? the structure and meaning is not proper in D.

E is the right choice here. Hope this helps :)
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ranjeet75 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:09 am
Quote from Collins Dictionary:
"And the chances are scientists never will get these answers-not because so few people will be affected, but because so many are already suffering from earlier exposure, including the [color=red][b]much larger amounts of dioxins[/b][/color] routinely pumped into the atmosphere by incinerators."

Hence dioxin, a chemical, is uncountable and the use of much with "dioxin" is proper. So, A should be the answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 pm
What is the OA ?
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:31 pm
I agree with Ranjit, the answer should be A as dioxins are uncountable and so use of much is warranted. Can any of the experts help in this particular question...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by santhoshsram » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 pm
I believe dioxins is countable here. The sentence is referring to the number of different dioxins released, for example dioxin A, dioxin B etc and not to the amount of a single dioxin.

If the sentence were referring to the amount of a single dioxin, then dioxin (singular) would have been uncountable. For example, "much of the currently uncontrolled dioxin" and dioxin would refer to one specific dioxin.

Hope this helps.