Academic Dismissal

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Academic Dismissal

by MBAchiever » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:52 pm
I was recently dismissed from my MBA program for not meeting the required GPA. I completed fall semester and received a letter of academic dismissal about 3 weeks ago that, essentially, told me not to come back. Receiving the letter was completely devastating but my adviser said I have the option of appealing the dismissal; I have begun this process. The reasons for my low GPA are many (motorcycle accident, roommate's home foreclosure) but I'd rather not get into details on this forum. However, ANY advice as to how I can get back into school would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks!

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:54 pm
Hey sorry to hear about your experience. IMHO, most people are reasonable enough to understand if you've had problems with your personal life. If I were you, I'd make a super strong case based on what happened (i.e. dig out medical records for the motorcycle accident) and present it to the committee that's analyzing your file.

Good luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:17 pm
Go very humbly to your dean and beg for a second chance. Ask what you can do to have any shot at improving your standing. Don't go in making excuses, go in to make a plan. Can you do extra work? Can you retake a class or exam? Can you go spend a semester somewhere else to prove you are worthy of a second shot? Good luck to you, it will be a tough road back.