1000 CR TEST1 no2

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

1000 CR TEST1 no2

by magical cook » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:26 pm
Hi,

It may be due to my lack of reading skill, but I had honestly no idea what the answer is.. (turned out to be B)) Can everyone get right answer this with no issue??

Contrary to the charges made by some of its opponents, the provisions of the new deficit-reduction law for indiscriminate cuts in the federal budget are justified. Opponents should remember that the New Deal pulled this country out of great economic troubles even though some of its programs were later found to be unconstitutional.

The author’s method of attacking the charges of certain opponents of the new deficit-reduction law is to

(A) attack the character of the opponents rather than their claim
(B) imply an analogy between the law and some New Deal programs
(C) point out that the opponents’ claims imply a dilemma
(D) show that the opponents’ reasoning leads to an absurd conclusion
(E) show that the New Deal also called for indiscriminate cuts in the federal budget

by rajesh_ctm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:47 am
The author is saying that the cuts in budget will work because the New Deal also worked. So he is implying that there is an analogy between the new law and the New Deal. Isn't it?

Followed by:1 members

by magical cook » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:35 am
Yeah, when I read it again, it makes sense. when I first read this, I thought the new deal indicates the law but it actually different sentence using analogical style...

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bob.njue » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:40 pm
well according to your question i honestly would have gone for option (c) seems more logical to me but then again i dont know the answer either
gud one though
In life even the pessimists view life from a positive
edge

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by rajibgmat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm
Choice B is obvious...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pavitkumar » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Even I think the answer should be B, Can someone please elaborate why B is incorrect and D is the correct answer.
Thanks!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:04 pm
pavitkumar wrote:Even I think the answer should be B, Can someone please elaborate why B is incorrect and D is the correct answer.
Thanks!!
official answer is B; D is not suitable as we can not read the opponents' conclusion here. If it were not for B, then again I would go with C. Still one or two words had to be present here, e.g. opponents' view of legitimacy of the new law vs. overcoming difficulties.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:49 am
Very Good CR OA as B makes complete sense...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.