Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by tommykng » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:42 pm
Hi Stacy,

Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know if my target schools are reasonable and what I will need to improve my application?

Undergrad
3.0 GPA, Computer Information Systems major at Cal Poly Pomona.

GMAT
650 GMAT (44 Q, 35 V, 4.5 AWA)

Demographic
32/Asian/Male

Work Experience:
I have 8 years of work experience as an experienced information technology (IT) risk assurance and advisory professional (reviewing an organization's IT risk and controls). I've been an IT auditor at a multinational insurance company coming out of college for a year and a half. Worked in a Big 4 accounting firm (EY) for 4.5 years (also in the IT risk advisory and assurance field) and working in a variety of Fortune 500 companies and industries. During this time, I've also worked on international projects in UK, Hong Kong, and Japan. I am currently working in a non-profit healthcare organization specializing in cancer treatment and research as the sole IT audit professional, bringing leading practices and expertise to mitigate IT risks to the organization.

Schools
Would like to stay in the Southern California...USC Marshall, UCLA Anderson, UCI Paul Merage

Why MBA
Looking to enhance my business knowledge to further my professional career from the "IT risk" field to operations, either within an organization or consulting.

Other information
I don't really have extracurricular volunteer activities. Is this a concern? I am a member and do participate in my industry professional organization meetings.

If you have any other recommendations, please feel free to let me know. Thank you, Stacy.

-Tommy

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:19 pm
Dear Tommy,

While you have many positives in your profile, based on your post, USC and UCLA are probably closer to reach programs and UCI is more reasonable. Your biggest assets are your substantial experience, including international projects, and realistic career goals. Since IT professionals are highly represented in the MBA applicant pool, you will want to highlight and showcase unique aspects to your experience, leadership successes, and exceptional teamwork examples. A lack of extracurricular activities could be a problem, as this can be a point of differentiation from applicants with similar education and experience, not to mention showing you are well-rounded. I encourage you to consider adding 1-2 other reasonable to safety programs to your list to round out your school mix.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tommykng » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:12 pm
Hi Lisa, thanks for your response. A couple of items I missed (and since added) in my profile that I would like your feedback.

Extracurricular activities
I am now serving as a committee member for my organization's (we are a cancer hospital) blood marrow donor registry program.

Schools
I am planning on the part time programs for those aforementioned schools (USC, UCLA, UCI).

Work experience
My work is really to mitigate the organization's risk, from operational, financial, and to IT-related risks. I see myself more as a risk management professional, and my specialty happens to be IT risks, and so not necessarily an IT professional. I suppose I should make that distinction clear in my application.

Also, what are some of the safety programs I should consider adding?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:18 pm
Dear Tommy,

Thanks for clarifying your professional experience and MBA program. You absolutely need to make sure your resume shows your experience as more risk management so as not to be considered an IT professional. Since you are targeting the part-time programs rather than full-time, it does bring UCLA and USC more within reach for you. Part-time programs evaluate applicants differently from full-time, so your minimal extracurricular activities will not be as much of a concern. However, your work experience to date will be scrutinized, and it is critical you present a solid rationale for the PMBA in relation to your career goals. As for safety programs, any of the smaller programs in southern CA that meet your needs/match your goals should be possible options.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me