Harvard 2+2 Chances

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Harvard 2+2 Chances

by yankees34 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:37 pm
I am a junior at a top public university. I have a partial scholarship and I have a 3.8+ GPA. I created my own major in global development and I am a Saudi born American citizen of Pakistani and Afghani descent. I am interested in social business development in areas that are prone to Islamic extremeism and I want to focus on female and youth empowerment. I have lived in an orphanage with HIV infected orphans and worked on an irrigation project in East Africa where I will be returning as a senior to study Swahili. Also, I have worked on a sustainable development project in Uganda and I have experience volunteering with NGOs in Morocco. I can speak Arabic, Urdu, Swahili and a little French. My long term goals are to start my own non profit that focuses on social business development, especially for female entrepreneurs who are suffering from poverty in Muslim nations. In addition to international travel, I have interned and volunteered for various non profits. I was president of a genocide prevention network on campus and I have independently raised over $5,000 for social projects ind eveloping countries. I have had two internships and a part time job. I worked with a microfinance company on social business, I worked as a research intern for a global health research think tank and I currently work for the federal government in the international legal field. I have yet to take my GRE/GMAT. I scored a 32 cumulative on my ACT. Should I apply for the 2+2 at Harvard or silver scholars program at yale and what do you think my chances are? I want to be sure it is a good fit. I think my interests in Social business are unique but I want to know what you think my chances are.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:01 pm
Dear yankees34,

You appear to have many positive attributes that programs like HBS 2+2 and Yale Silver Scholars look for in applicants. However, it is hard to say what your chances are as your profile is incomplete and it is not clear that you want to get your MBA. While you do convey specific and understandable goals for your career, you do not seem convinced an MBA is a necessary step. Having a solid rationale for an MBA in relation to your goals of starting a nonprofit and working in social business is a key component to a successful application. I can certainly see how an MBA would make sense for you, but you need to be sure--and be sure that these programs are the right fit. I highly encourage you to reach out to HBS and Yale to learn more about the programs, perhaps talk with a current student. Then you can determine if applying to these programs is your next step.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yankees34 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:54 am
Dear Stacy Blackman,

Thank you for your response. I will explore the Yale and Harvard MBA programs in greater detail. I interned at a microfinance social business company where two employees were Yale MBA grads and Yale SOM is ranked as the top non profit management business school so I am especially interested in their Silver Scholars Program. I have to do some more research to figure out if an MBA is the best for my personal aspirations. Thanks again for your help and guidance.