Remainder with 5 integers

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

Remainder with 5 integers

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:27 pm
Let r s m n and q be positive integers. Is rs the remainder when mn is divided by q?

(1) m divided by q leaves a remainder of r

(2) n divided by q leaves a remainder of s

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by knight247 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 pm
One Important principal u may wanna keep in mind.

Suppose a number A*B divided by a number x leaves a certain remainder, that remainder is equal to the product of remainders produced when A is divided by x and B is divided by x individually.

Variation....If A divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'm' and B divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'n', then when A*B is divided by x the remainder is the product of m*n

(1) m = q(z) + r ....Where z is the quotient
This statement is insufficient as it gives no info about n and s
(2) n = q (x) + s ....Where x is the quotient
This statement is insufficient as it gives no info about m and r

Using the principal mentioned above, If m divided by q leaves a remainder of r and n divided by q leaves a remainder of s, then m*n divided by q will leave a remainder of r*s. Hence C
Last edited by knight247 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ArunangsuSahu » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:14 pm
Ans is (E)

(A) not Sufficient
(B) not Sufficient

Let's combine both
Case I:
m=7 q=5 implies r=2
n=9 q=5 implies s=4

So mn=63, rs=8, q=5 but mn%q=3. So rs not equal to Remainder of mn divided by 5 but will be rqual if rs is dived by 5 as rs > 5

Case II:
m=4 q=3 r=1
n=2 q=3 r=2
So mn=8, rs=2, q=3 and mn%3=2 so it conforms

But we don't have a definite solution

So E is the answer

So mn=

Followed by:1 members

by chufus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:29 am
Just saw the flaw in my approach so removed the solution....... It was wrong and don't want to misguide anyone...
Last edited by chufus on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:39 am
knight247 wrote:One Important principal u may wanna keep in mind.

Suppose a number A*B divided by a number x leaves a certain remainder, that remainder is equal to the product of remainders produced when A is divided by x and B is divided by x individually.

Variation....If A divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'm' and B divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'n', then when A*B is divided by x the remainder is the product of m*n
These principles aren't quite right. Say you have two numbers, and the remainder is 5 when you divide the first number by 7, and the remainder is 2 when you divide the second number by 7. If you multiply these two numbers, the remainder will not be 5*2 = 10 when you divide the product by 7, since 10 is too large - when you divide anything by 7, the remainder must be between 0 and 6 inclusive. Instead you need, as the final step, to take the remainder when you divide 10 by 7; the remainder is 3 when you divide this product by 7.

So in the question in the original post, we're dividing by q. We can easily get a 'yes' answer to the question, using both statements, by letting r and s be 0, say, or 1. But if r*s is bigger than q, which can easily happen, then r*s can never be a remainder when you divide by q, since when you divide by q, the remainder must be smaller than q. So the answer is E.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

by chufus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:27 am
Ian Stewart wrote:
knight247 wrote:One Important principal u may wanna keep in mind.

These principles aren't quite right. Say you have two numbers, and the remainder is 5 when you divide the first number by 7, and the remainder is 2 when you divide the second number by 7. If you multiply these two numbers, the remainder will not be 5*2 = 10 when you divide the product by 7, since 10 is too large - when you divide anything by 7, the remainder must be between 0 and 6 inclusive. Instead you need, as the final step, to take the remainder when you divide 10 by 7; the remainder is 3 when you divide this product by 7.

So in the question in the original post, we're dividing by q. We can easily get a 'yes' answer to the question, using both statements, by letting r and s be 0, say, or 1. But if r*s is bigger than q, which can easily happen, then r*s can never be a remainder when you divide by q, since when you divide by q, the remainder must be smaller than q. So the answer is E.
Stewart is absolutely correct. I misinterpreted my solution right at the end. With the algebraic solution to this, the remainder comes to (rs)/q which means the remainder could still be anything. The only way remainder is rs is when q is 1 and that is not a precondition with the question. Do the algebra, it will actually show you very quickly what's wrong with assumptions defined by knight247

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:54 members
GMAT Score:770

by GmatMathPro » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:42 pm
chufus wrote:
Stewart is absolutely correct. I misinterpreted my solution right at the end. With the algebraic solution to this, the remainder comes to (rs)/q which means the remainder could still be anything. The only way remainder is rs is when q is 1 and that is not a precondition with the question. Do the algebra, it will actually show you very quickly what's wrong with assumptions defined by knight247
Not exactly. The remainder is not rs/q. The remainder is the same as the remainder you would get if you divided rs by q. Make sure you see the difference.

Thus, it is not true that q has to be 1 for the remainder to be rs. The remainder will always be rs as long as rs is less than q. For example, 11 divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 2. 12 divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 3. 12*11=132, which leaves a remainder of 6 when divided by 9, which is the same as 2*3, the product of the remainders of 12 and 11 divided by 9. If we tried to use "the remainder is rs/q", we would get a remainder of 6/9 or 2/3, which clearly does not make sense.

knight247's principle can be salvaged with a slight modification:
knight247 wrote: Variation....If A divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'm' and B divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'n', then when A*B is divided by x the remainder is equal to the remainder left when the product of m*n is divided by x
Pete Ackley
GMAT Math Pro
Free Online Tutoring Trial

by ArunangsuSahu » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:37 pm
See my answer in the 2nd post

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:51 pm
OA is E

by chufus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 am
GmatMathPro wrote:
chufus wrote:
Not exactly. The remainder is not rs/q. The remainder is the same as the remainder you would get if you divided rs by q. Make sure you see the difference.

Thus, it is not true that q has to be 1 for the remainder to be rs. The remainder will always be rs as long as rs is less than q. For example, 11 divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 2. 12 divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 3. 12*11=132, which leaves a remainder of 6 when divided by 9, which is the same as 2*3, the product of the remainders of 12 and 11 divided by 9. If we tried to use "the remainder is rs/q", we would get a remainder of 6/9 or 2/3, which clearly does not make sense.

knight247's principle can be salvaged with a slight modification:
knight247 wrote: Variation....If A divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'm' and B divided by x leaves a certain remainder 'n', then when A*B is divided by x the remainder is equal to the remainder left when the product of m*n is divided by x
Yea bang on.. I guess that is what i meant but just conveyed it in the wrong manner. Thanks for pointing the subtle difference out.