Farm depression

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Farm depression

by zaarathelab » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 am
Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size.
(A) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size
(B) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, about the size of Colorado
(C) has grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado
(D) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado's
(E) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, about Colorado's size

[spoiler]I know why a,b and e are out, but don't know why D is wrong[/spoiler]
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dev.gavande » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:55 am
Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size.
(A) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size
(C) has grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado
(D) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado's
My answer : C
A,B : HAVE incorrect
E: about Colorado's size, what is colorado's size? not mentioned, incorrect
C and D are close. What I could eliminate was that "about the size of Colorado's" in the C. Its sort of repetion that you are already mentioning size of colorado, and using possessive noun to state the same. i tend to avoid possesive..
So, C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:01 am
zaarathelab wrote:Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size.

In A and B, have (plural) does not agree with the number (singular). Eliminate A and B.

In D and E, has grown...UP is either an error of redundancy or a change in meaning. To grow UP means to progress from childhood to adulthood. Whereas a child grows UP, the number of acres simply HAS GROWN. Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:05 am
zaarathelab wrote:Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado's size.

D is out because of the use "the size of Colorado's" and the word "up" .. not needed.
Regards
Abhimanyu

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 am

IMO:C

by LeoBen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:07 am
Another reason to eliminate D (IMO) is ellipis - redundancy. Size of Colorado's (Size).