Specific doubt on pronoun ambiguity

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Specific doubt on pronoun ambiguity

by zaarathelab » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:39 am
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

(A) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were
(B) is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was
(C) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were
(D) are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was
(E) are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were

I have a specific question -

Is it true that a pronoun in the main clause cannot refer to a noun in the main clause and hence 'THEM' in choice has no clear antecedent since it cannot refer to investors (the noun in the main clause)?
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by singh181 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:27 am
I dont know the rule u r talking abt. But I think "by them" is unnecessary here and creates confusion about "who will sign the merger agreement".

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:22 am
Between A and C. C have many problems.

"by them" is unnecessary

"agreement be signed". This is not subjunctive mood. So, using "be" is wrong.

"with provision" also changes the meaning of the sentence.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:34 pm
zaarathelab wrote:
I have a specific question -

Is it true that a pronoun in the main clause cannot refer to a noun in the main clause and hence 'THEM' in choice has no clear antecedent since it cannot refer to investors (the noun in the main clause)?
From your doubt it seems that C is the OA. But I don't think C can be the OA.

The best is A.

C has many problem as stated above by tuanquang269.