Confused about GMAT Prep Scoring

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Confused about GMAT Prep Scoring

by stonehenge » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:06 pm
I just took the GMAT Prep test #2 and scored a 750 (Q 48 V 45). I have two questions:

I missed 15 quant questions. Does my score seem too high? Can I miss 12-13 questions in quant on the actual test and still score above a 700?

Also, is this a reliable indicator of how I will do on the test in a another week or so?

I scored a 660 on the first test (Q47 V 34) but I took the verbal too lightly and have since focused on this.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Confused about GMAT Prep Scoring

by beatthegmat » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 pm
stonehenge wrote:I just took the GMAT Prep test #2 and scored a 750 (Q 48 V 45). I have two questions:

I missed 15 quant questions. Does my score seem too high? Can I miss 12-13 questions in quant on the actual test and still score above a 700?

Also, is this a reliable indicator of how I will do on the test in a another week or so?

I scored a 660 on the first test (Q47 V 34) but I took the verbal too lightly and have since focused on this.

Thanks.
GMATPrep is the best indicator of your actual GMAT performance because it features actual (but retired) GMAT questions--no other test prep software mimics the real GMAT as well.

Having said that, your score does seem pretty high for missing so many questions. It's possible that you were able to score so high on this practice test because you got the questions which were marked as experimental incorrect.

I would definitely take some other practice tests and the second GMATPrep to see whether your score was a fluke or genuine.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:48 pm
Hi, actually, you should expect to get many questions wrong on the real test even at high scores - completely normal. It seems weird b/c in school we were graded based on how many we got right. On this test, the number right doesn't matter nearly as much as the difficulty level.

People scoring in the 300-700 range can expect to get approx. half the questions wrong (and half right). The difference in the scores is due to the varying difficulty levels of the questions, NOT the number wrong. Above 700, you'll get more right than wrong, but you'll still get a number of questions wrong. Even a perfect score on the test still reflects something like 3-6 incorrect questions per section.

It's actually really important to know this before you go in so that you don't get psyched out, thinking that you're doing poorly b/c you know you're missing a bunch of questions. Expect to miss a bunch - that's how the test is designed.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me