During the Great Depression, Roosevelt’s New Deal

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
During the Great Depression, Roosevelt's New Deal expanded federal authority by creating several new government agencies designed to provide and administer relief to the country, which had been devastated by the 1929 stock market crash. Many agencies created under the New Deal were discontinued in subsequent decades, however, when policymakers grew uncomfortable with the amount of power wielded by the federal government. Additionally, a large number of economists at the time felt the market had recovered to the point that federal regulation had become more a hindrance to than a provider of economic stability.

The economists' support of the discontinuation of New Deal programs rests on which of the following assumptions about the role of the federal government in the market?

(a) Interference by federal government in the market can never create economic stability.
(B) Federal regulation of the market is an emergency measure and, as such, should be temporary.
(C) Agencies created under the New Deal routinely exercised control beyond what was stated in their charters.
(D) Policymakers who discontinued New Deal programs were not the same policymakers who originally implemented them.
(E) New Deal programs designed to provide economic relief actually perpetuated market instability.

OA later some discussion

Followed by:6 members

by user123321 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:35 pm
IMO A

when new agencies were created it was assumed to create economic stability. This assumption we can arrive at from the last sentence of the para.

A) says that.

user123321
Just started my preparation :D
Want to do it right the first time.

Followed by:4 members

by chieftang » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:14 am
[spoiler](B) Federal regulation of the market is an emergency measure and, as such, should be temporary. [/spoiler]

If correct, I will post the reasoning.

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:15 am
OA is B

Followed by:6 members

by user123321 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 pm
Can I get the OE for this one?
B seems fitting but can that be assumed from argument?

user123321
Just started my preparation :D
Want to do it right the first time.