Best CAT's for the last few days

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Best CAT's for the last few days

by GoBlue » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:29 am
So the D Day is the end of the month. I have pretty much stopped studying and am practicing CAT's. My CAT scores are between 650 and 700

1.MGMAT 3 : 730
2.Master GMAT 2 : 690 -710
3.Master GMAT 3 : 690 - 710
4.Master GMAT 4 : 650 - 680
5.Kaplan Online : 700
6 GMAT Prep : 680
7.Master GMAT 5 : 680

My observations for the above listed CATS as Compared to GMATPrep 1

1. Manhattan GMAT - Quant ( Simple but lengthy..not true representative), Verbal.. not sure
2. Master GMAT - Test 1, 2, 3 are excellent ( Quant..is good, Verbal ... lots of repetitions in RC, simpler questions)
3. Kaplan - Quant (Way tooooo easy), Verbal ( a little different from GMATPrep type q's)

I have 2 weeks to go and am planning on taking GMATPrep 2 after a week or so. In the meantime can you guys suggest better CAT's if available. I have not yet taken Veritas, Knewton or Princeton.
Should I continue with MGMAT tests or do you guys think Veritas, Knewton or Princeton tests are better respresentatives ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:19 am
Hi GoBlue,
The GMATPrep tests have over 1000 questions in them so you should take each test at least twice (for a total of four tests). These tests have the best questions as you probably know, but they have next to no analysis. Therefore, I would also take 1 other test some other time before the test to make sure your timing isn't messed up and too maybe analyze any weak areas you might have a bit in more detail. ( You can analyze the question types on the GMATPrep exams as well, but it takes a bit more effort).

Cheers!
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GoBlue » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 am
Thanks Dan,

Before I saw your response, I took yet another Master GMAT test and scored horribly. Maybe its test exhaustion ( or just my performance deteriorating ).
So do you recommend I reinstall ( reset ) test 1 from GMATPrep. I have not yet taken the 2nd test. Don't these tests extract questions from the same pool. How do you think I should proceed ? What other test will give me detailed analysis of my weakness ( MGMAT / Veritas / Kaplan / Princeton ). Also, in the last 2 weeks, how many tests do you recommend I take ?

GB :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:49 am
Hello again GB,
Watch out for the accuracy of some practice tests. I don't really know master GMAT, but I know that when I studied I took a practice test that gave me a score that was way off the mark ( I don't want to mention it by name because of the no bad mouthing policy on BTG).

Anyway- back to your questions- the two tests on GMATPREP actually have separate pools of questions and yes you can go ahead and rest the first test (as long as you've already learned from all the mistakes that you made on the test). When I prepped I used MGMAT's tests and I was pretty happy with them, but I've heard Knewton is ok too. Finally, I'd say that you should take about 4 practice tests in the next week and a half and then just leave the last couple of days for review.

Good luck!
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT