Two Weeks Out - Advice?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Two Weeks Out - Advice?

by MaleInNC2007 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:55 pm
I am two weeks away from the GMAT. I am a law student (with an MBA) and I will apply to PhD programs (once I know what my test score is).

I scored 610 the first time (back in 2003) but I didn’t study as much in 2003.

I have gone through a ton of books. I wished I started with the Official Guides and found this site earlier.

One problem I have now is that I have already done all of the problems in the OG's. Consequently, I feel my scores on the official computerized tests are a little inflated because there is some overlap with the books. I assume I have to predict my scores off of my initial 'scores' on the OG's. My scores have been consistent throughout all of the books. Here is the general break-down on percentage of question I have answered correctly:

Problem solving: 90%
Data sufficiency: 84%

Reading comprehension: 91%
Critical reasoning: 92%
Sentence correction: 72%

My scores on the computerized tests range from 680 to 740 but I feel this is inflated because I reviewed the OG's first. I also notice a ton of similar patterns etc.

Numerous people on this board recommended the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction book so I purchased the book. Hopefully this will increase my SC score.

I guess my question is what should I expect for a score on the real test based upon my results? I am shooting for low-tier PhD programs. One has an average GMAT score of 610 (believe it or not). I hope to god I can crack 700. I will be satisfied with a 680. My undergraduate & MBA GPA is 4.0. I am hoping a decent GMAT score and the rest will get me in a decent PhD program.

From here on out my plan is to review the problems I have answered incorrectly and to work on sentence correction problems.

Wish me luck.
Last edited by MaleInNC2007 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

as for prep scores compared to the actual score - try this link

https://www.gmatclub.com/content/resourc ... /index.php

from what I read and understood, actual scores can sometimes be better than prep scores - or atleast with in your prep score range - so it looks like you are in a good position to achieve you GMAT score goal.

as for your career as stated - I am finishing my LLB (the EU law degree) and have thought of taking a local (Israeli) MBA but decided to wait untill I have a chance to do it in an international top 20 school.
I thought of doing a business PhD instead but was talked out of it on acount of it being very academia oriented and not real life business oriented (as I think I am)

so, would you agree with the assumption that a Business PhD is only worth the while for a career in academia? or can it bring you a real business edge (like a top MBA program can)?
are there Business PhD program under 2 years in top schools?

thanks, and good luck

Ron
https://mbaaspirations.blocked/

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:58 pm
You seem like you're in good shape, except for SC, and the SC strategy guide should really help you with that - my students rave about the SC guide and say it's really helpful.

Your academics are fantastic, so you can probably get away with a little bit lower GMAT score. If you have an idea what programs you'll apply to, look on their web sites or contact them and ask them what they look for in a GMAT score and how much they emphasize it, especially when given a great academic record. You may not need as high a score as you think (of course, you'll want to do your best, but you'll have less pressure if you know your application would still be okay with a lower score).
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

Two Weeks Out - Advice?

by isisalaska » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:42 am
Hi
I am so glad to have foudn somebody who is also applying for a Ph.D in business. That’s what I am trying to do. I completed my MBA in 2001 so I took the GMAT back in 1998. My goal is to get into academia and quit my “Corporate career”. I have been working in a corporation for 6 years as an auditor and accountant and I felt I needed something else, something different. That’s why, last year I got in touch with some of my previous MBA professor and well, here I am , studying like crazy and trying to manage my FL job and my family (oh, did I mention I have a 19th month old daughter). But I am full of hope and I am this is what I want so it makes it so worthy, even though it is really though! :cry:

Good luck to you, it will pay off! :D
Isis Alaska