Tiger Beetles

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

Tiger Beetles

by Dean Jones » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:06 am
Dear Friends,

I was having problems in answering the following question.

Tiger beetles are such fast runners that they can capture virtually any nonflying insect. However, when running toward an insect, the beetles intermittently stop, and then, a moment later, resume their attack. Perhaps they cannot maintain their pace and must pause for a moment's rest; but an alternative hypothesis is that while running tiger beetles are unable to process the resulting rapidly changing visual information, and so quickly go blind and stop. Which of the following, if discovered in experiments using artificially moved prey insects, would support one of the two hypotheses and undermine the other?

A. When a prey insect is moved directly toward a beetle that has been chasing it, the beetle immediately turns and runs away without its usual intermittent stopping.
B. In pursuing a moving insect, the beetles usually respond immediately to changes in the insect's direction, and pause equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline.
C. The beetles maintain a fixed time interval between pauses, although when an insect that had been stationary begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause.
D. If, when a beetle pauses, it has not gained on the insect it is pursuing, the beetle generally ends its pursuit.
E. When an obstacle is suddenly introduced just in front of running beetles, the beetles sometimes stop immediately, but they never respond by running around the barrier.

Please help.

OA after some discussions.

My choice was option B

Regards
Deano.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650+

by mskgmat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:44 am
A. When a prey insect is moved directly toward a beetle that has been chasing it, the beetle immediately turns and runs away without its usual intermittent stopping.
I think A is best option weakens visual blind hypothesis
B. In pursuing a moving insect, the beetles usually respond immediately to changes in the insect's direction, and pause equally frequently whether the chase is up or down an incline.
May be close but not enough I believe.
C. The beetles maintain a fixed time interval between pauses, although when an insect that had been stationary begins to flee, the beetle increases its speed after its next pause.
Not weakening any hypothesis
D. If, when a beetle pauses, it has not gained on the insect it is pursuing, the beetle generally ends its pursuit.
Not weakening any hypothesis and totally destroys the conclusion
E. When an obstacle is suddenly introduced just in front of running beetles, the beetles sometimes stop immediately, but they never respond by running around the barrier.
May be close but not enough I believe.
Experts has to help on this

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by niazsna786 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:03 am
IMO B
What is OA?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by Dean Jones » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:49 am
OA is option C I still have no clue why option B is wrong. Can anyone please explain?