round 2 strategy/profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

round 2 strategy/profile evaluation

by blg529 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:57 pm
My profile:
3.89 GPA undergrad from Northwestern with double major in Econ & Psych; 3.96 GPA in social psychology MA from top 5 program (was in the PhD program and left because I was more interested in the applications of research to the real world than the academic bubble)
770 GMAT (49 Q, 47 V, 6.0 AWA)
3 years (at matriculation) work experience in venture capital for a mid-size firm based in LA (we co-invest with all of the top Silicon Valley funds, but an adcom member probably hasn't heard the name)
Only associate in company history to be promoted from associate to venture partner without an MBA/significant previous work experience (promoted after 15 months)
ECs: excellent undergrad/lots of leadership, less since (10 hours/week commitment to a semi-professional choir with leadership, homeless lunch volunteer who started an ongoing clothing drive but no formal leadership position)
Excellent letters of recommendation (receommeders let me read them) from direct supervisor and CEO of a company whose board I am an observer on
Future career plans: to combine my psych background and the mangement/quant experience I've developed in VC and the interest I've developed in marketing through helping our portfolio companies develop their marketing strategies to transition into a career in brand management
Female, caucasian US citizen

In the first round I applied to Stanford, Haas, Kellogg, and Anderson (at the time I was limited by my husband's concerns about location and his career but now he's more willing to move anywhere necessary). So far the only school that invited me to an interview is Anderson (also interviewed at Kellogg but that was self-initiated). So I'm starting to think I need to make a plan for R2 because I am pretty set on going to school this coming fall. Where would you suggest I apply? So far I was considering Ross, Fuqua, and Stern. I also know Wharton is highly regarded for their marketing research but I'm not sure if recruitment for brand management is good there or if they are interested in marketing students since it is known as a finance school. I know it's a stretch, but I've heard Wharton is more interesting in the numbers (which I have). I'm not really sure what went wrong in round 1 and I'm starting to feel discouraged.

Thanks in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:640

by limestone » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 pm
Dear Miss,

My profile is quite similar to yours; and also intend to apply for Fall 2013. I haven't researched much about business school, but also would like to share with you the information I got.

My Profile:

- Venture Capitalist for a Japanese Venture fund in Vietnam (among the biggest funds in VN)
- Working experience at matriculation: 1 years in Corporate Finance (A big French Bank), nearly 3 years at the ventures fund.
- Nationality: Vietnamese ( can it be considered as minority ?)
- GPA: 2.7(convert from 10 scale to 4.0 scale by myself), using the GPA converter, it says 3.0); last two years GPA: 3.1 (3.3 using GPA Converter) from top tier university in Vietnam.
- Extracurricular: Huge at Univeristy (some leader positions) but minor since 2011 (taking to much time on conference & start up events)
- GMAT: 630 (Q50, V25, AWA 4.5) in 2009. Will retake, but quite confident about 700+ (Q50,V3x), AWA 5.0+

First take a look at this list though it is a little out of date:
https://undergraduated.com/top-mba-ventu ... alism.html

The above list is just for reference. But I guess you have missed a big name: Harvard.

In my opinion, your profile is very strong with some plus point: double degrees from renowned university, female, strong GPA & GMAT, and good ECs. I have no idea about your working exp (as you did not detail it). Thus, I assume that your issue may originate from your essay and the reason why "brand management". I do not mean the content, but maybe the way you conveyed your massages to Adcomms.

Impact oriented instead of result oriented

If you say you supported a portfolio company to increase 30% revenue via some marketing methods: bla bla ... or accomplish the year target of 2011 in term of marketing budget ... It sound a little familiar to adcomms. Your company can find another staff just to bring the same result as you did. Tell Adcomms something that only you can do: innovate a new techniques in marketing that cut cost by 10% and rise viral effects by 15% comparing to last period. It's your own techniques that other staffs will learn and follow; something that makes a lasting impact, something that's odd, something that's yours!

Moreover, make sure the one who review your essay is familiar with MBA criteria. Thus, sometime it worths using an consultant service.

The connection between your current career and your after MBA career:

If your work as an associate are researching for startups, incubating portfolio companies (finance, strategy, marketing, HR, ...), analyzing potential firms, proceeding investment, then a shift to focusing only a Brand Management Career may invite questions. Show Adcomms that these two pre & post MBA career are interelated or reasonably suit each other in some way.

Dont be discouraged! Check for mistakes in round 1, improve our candidacy in round 2, then head for top B-School again.

Please let know about your application process. I'll follow you in BTG.

@Stacy Blackman Consultant: please also evaluate my profile for applying in year 2012 (Class of 2013). Assume working experiece that:
-2009-2010: Assistant Manager of Head of Department of a French Bank - nothing major lasting impact.
-2011: Join a Japanese venture fund as an associate, promote to entry-level manager in Sept. 2011 - significant lasting impact on improving researching methods for the funds, and product strategy for a portfolio firms.
-2011-matriculation: try upgrade manager level, with 1 or 2 more significant lasting impacts to the organization/Clients.

Finally, I ceased my ECs in the recent year, spending more time on startup event and conference. I intend to start my favorite community activities again at the beginning of 2012. Does it hurt to my application as an hurry action to get impressed in ECs?

Thanks in advance.
"There is nothing either good or bad - but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 pm
Dear blg529,

It is hard to know why the interview invitations have not come (yet); it is possible you might still receive one. Without seeing your entire application package, it is hard to pinpoint what might have failed to resonate with the schools you targeted in R1. Have you considered Kelley at Indiana? It is a very strong brand management program with close ties to many CPG companies. I also agree that Ross and Fuqua are good options, as well as Wharton, HBS or Columbia. I think you have the foundation for a competitive application anywhere...but the waiting on the decisions can be tough. Don't get discouraged, just take back control by submitting some R2 applications to spread your risk and improve the likelihood you will be in school next fall.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:50 pm
Dear limestone,

You have quality work experience and a solid grasp on how to present yourself effectively in your application (per your answer to the other poster). However, I am concerned by your academic profile (GPA & GMAT). Right now, you are below average on both for many programs, but certainly will be viewed as below average relative to other international applicants. Hopefully, you will increase your GMAT score to the 700+ range, as that will strengthen your application quite a bit. I also encourage you to get involved in your community again at the beginning of 2012. It will be helpful to show you have interests outside of work and stories from those experience can often distinguish you from other applicants. Finally, Vietnamese is not considered a minority in the US. You will be an international applicant.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me