Rate of Increase of Population(Debatable OA)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.

(A) twice as fast as
(B) twice as fast as it was in
(C) twice what it was in
(D) two times faster than that of
(E) two times greater than

[spoiler]The dictionary says that TWICE is an ADVERB. Rate is a noun. OA is given as C. I want to go with E as it correctly shows the comparison. 1970's is an ellipsis construction.

Experts pls give your views. Most forums have pointed to C as the answer.[/spoiler]
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by rijul007 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 am
In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in
IMO: between B and C .. i chose C... as it is more concise...

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:11 pm
zaarathelab wrote:In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in

The dictionary says that TWICE is an ADVERB. Rate is a noun. OA is given as C. I want to go with E as it correctly shows the comparison. 1970's is an ellipsis construction.

Experts pls give your views. Most forums have pointed to C as the answer
If you want to use the ellipsis construction. Choice E will lack of preposition "in" as first clause. And as your reasoning, choice A also correct. In one sentence, do not have 2 correct answer. Choice C is correct one.

Followed by:4 members

by chieftang » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:16 pm
Definitively C. No question about it.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:54 pm
I do not think that there is any doubt here. The answer should be C.

I think that there is only one concept acting over here :

rate ... as fast as -- how can rate be "fast"....

The speed of the train is faster than the speed of...: is wrong, it should be
The train is moving faster than X

similarly, "rate" can be more or less, but cannot be fast or slow. The moving object can be fast or slow.

This is exactly what is happening here :

So we are left with only C --- this has to be the OA.

I hope this helps !!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:42 members

by arpita@gurome » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 am
Hi Zaara,

(A) is incorrect because it is comparing apples (rate of increase of the minority population) to oranges (the 1970's). Also note that the "rate" of increase cannot be fast. The "increase" can be fast.
(B) fixes the "apples to oranges" error, but retains the redundant "rate of increase... fast" error.
(D) retains the same redundancy error. (E) is incorrect because here again, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Hope this helps.
Arpita Sen
Verbal and Admissions Expert
Gurome, Inc.
www.GuroMe.com
Win a free MBA essay review: https://bit.ly/toZumc

1-800-566-4043
+91 99201 32411 (India)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:11 am
zaarathelab wrote:In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970's.

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in

[spoiler]The dictionary says that TWICE is an ADVERB. Rate is a noun. OA is given as C. I want to go with E as it correctly shows the comparison. 1970's is an ellipsis construction.

Experts pls give your views. Most forums have pointed to C as the answer.[/spoiler]
I received a PM asking me to comment.

A and E seem to compare THE RATE to THE 1970's. Eliminate A and E.

In D, two times FASTER implies multiplying by a FACTOR OF 3. To illustrate: if the rate is 1 unit per year, then two times the rate = 2 units per year, so two times FASTER = 3 units per year. The intended meaning is that the rate DOUBLED. Eliminate D.

In B, the rate was...twice as fast is considered an error of redundancy, akin to saying "the depth was twice as deep". Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.

Zaarathelab expressed a concern about the use of twice in the OA. Please note that TWICE + NUMBER/AMOUNT is a very common construction, supported by dictionaries. Consider the examples of twice offered by Webster's:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/twice
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by jumsumtak » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:19 am
nice platform to raise a perennial doubt of mine:

how can we conclude whether the sentence uses ellipsis... for e.g. in this case can I append [rate of increase] to option E? will doing so make it correct? if not, why and any more examples when we CANNOT use ellipsis..
the point is, if the sentence is using ellipsis then the comparison seems logical. doesn't it?

by the way is 'two times greater than' idiomatically correct?

lots of doubts..!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm
jumsumtak wrote:nice platform to raise a perennial doubt of mine:

how can we conclude whether the sentence uses ellipsis... for e.g. in this case can I append [rate of increase] to option E? will doing so make it correct? if not, why and any more examples when we CANNOT use ellipsis..
the point is, if the sentence is using ellipsis then the comparison seems logical. doesn't it?

lots of doubts..!
Ellipsis is the omission of words whose presence is understood.
It must be CRYSTAL CLEAR what words are being omitted.
Generally, the omitted words should appear in the EXACT SAME FORM earlier in the sentence.
The use of ellipsis in E would imply the following:

THE RATE OF INCREASE OF THE MINORITY POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES was...greater than THE RATE OF INCREASE OF THE MINORITY POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES the 1970's.

The comparison above needs to say IN the 1970's, but we cannot borrow IN from the introductory modifier in the 1980's.

Two times greater than is unidiomatic and implies an increase of 300%, changing the intended meaning. For a further explanation, please see my post above regarding two times faster than.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by jumsumtak » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:16 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:nice platform to raise a perennial doubt of mine:

lots of doubts..!
Ellipsis is the omission of words whose presence is understood.
It must be CRYSTAL CLEAR what words are being omitted.
Generally, the omitted words should appear in the EXACT SAME FORM earlier in the sentence.
The use of ellipsis in E would imply the following:

THE RATE OF INCREASE OF THE MINORITY POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES was...greater than THE RATE OF INCREASE OF THE MINORITY POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES the 1970's.

The comparison above needs to say IN the 1970's, but we cannot borrow IN from the introductory modifier in the 1980's.

Two times greater than is unidiomatic and implies an increase of 300%, changing the intended meaning. For a further explanation, please see my post above regarding two times faster than.
Agree. We need to use the exact same form. But is it upto us from where we can clip the sentence and where we can paste it ?

for e.g. in this sentence :
In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly two times greater than the 1970's rate of increase of the minority population of the United States

I see this sentence is flawed as well because there is no "in" in the second part of the sentence. But, are we free to decide what to pick and where to paste.
Please explain this.

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 pm
jumsumtak wrote:
In the 1980's the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly two times greater than the 1970's rate of increase of the minority population of the United States
It seems that you are interpreting "1970's" as a possessive in this sentence, since you have mentioned "..... 1970's rate of increase....". That is not the case here. By the way, if 1980's and 1970's were indeed used as a possessive, following would have been correct from ellipsis perspective (though logically, one might argue that there is still an issue):

The 1980's rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly two times greater than the 1970's.

The above can be correctly interpreted as:

The 1980's rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly two times greater than the 1970's (rate of increase of the minority population of the United States).
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

by jumsumtak » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 am
EducationAisle wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
It seems that you are interpreting "1970's" as a possessive in this sentence, since you have mentioned "..... 1970's rate of increase....". That is not the case here. By the way, if 1980's and 1970's were indeed used as a possessive, following would have been correct from ellipsis perspective (though logically, one might argue that there is still an issue):

The 1980's rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly two times greater than the 1970's.

The above can be correctly interpreted as:

The 1980's rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly two times greater than the 1970's (rate of increase of the minority population of the United States).
I know the construction of the original sentence was incorrect.I got this one.

But should we not use 1970's for possessive and 1970s for plural form (for the years 1970,71,72...) ?

@ Mitch,

can you please provide an example where we cannot use the ellipsis because the use is not "crystal clear" ... I think that would solve my doubt.. thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 am
jumsumtak wrote:
@ Mitch,

can you please provide an example where we cannot use the ellipsis because the use is not "crystal clear" ... I think that would solve my doubt.. thanks
An improper use of ellipsis:

Adam speaks to Bob more frequently than Carol.

The sentence above could imply either of the following:
Adam speaks to Bob more frequently than he SPEAKS TO CAROL.
Adam speaks to Bob more frequently than Carol SPEAKS TO BOB.

To make the comparison clear:

Adam speaks to Bob more frequently than TO Carol.
Adam speaks to Bob more frequently than Carol DOES.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:41 am
jumsumtak wrote: But should we not use 1970's for possessive and 1970s for plural form (for the years 1970,71,72...) ?
That is a question of academic interest (in the sense that this knowledge is inconsequential to solve this question) because 1980's appears in the non-underlined portion of the sentence and we clearly cannot change this. It is quite clear that it is not used in possessive sense in the non-underlined portion. Hence, clearly 1970's has to be used in the same sense.

The reason this realization is crucial is because in SC, one must develop an eye for what matters and what does not, to solve a question. In this question, it is a moot point whether 1980's should have been used or 1980s.
jumsumtak wrote: can you please provide an example where we cannot use the ellipsis because the use is not "crystal clear" ... I think that would solve my doubt.. thanks

John likes his burger with cheese, Mary with butter.

The above sentence that uses ellipsis can be interpreted in either of the following ways:

1. John likes his burger with cheese; James likes Mary with butter. (non-sensical)
2. John likes his burger with cheese, Mary likes her burger with butter.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

by jumsumtak » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:30 am
EducationAisle wrote:
jumsumtak wrote: But should we not use 1970's for possessive and 1970s for plural form (for the years 1970,71,72...) ?
That is a question of academic interest (in the sense that this knowledge is inconsequential to solve this question) because 1980's appears in the non-underlined portion of the sentence and we clearly cannot change this. It is quite clear that it is not used in possessive sense in the non-underlined portion. Hence, clearly 1970's has to be used in the same sense.

The reason this realization is crucial is because in SC, one must develop an eye for what matters and what does not, to solve a question. In this question, it is a moot point whether 1980's should have been used or 1980s.
jumsumtak wrote: can you please provide an example where we cannot use the ellipsis because the use is not "crystal clear" ... I think that would solve my doubt.. thanks

John likes his burger with cheese, Mary with butter.

The above sentence that uses ellipsis can be interpreted in either of the following ways:

1. John likes his burger with cheese; James likes Mary with butter. (non-sensical)
2. John likes his burger with cheese, Mary likes her burger with butter.
True. I just asked that out of curiosity.

Also, your second ellipsis sentence:
John likes his burger with cheese, Mary likes her burger with butter

incorrectly adds 'her',which does not occur previously in the sentence.

But I do get the point. Using an ellipsis might create ambiguity.

Than you, both Ashish & Mitch, for answering the query.