Temperature of the moth

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Temperature of the moth

by gmatIntent » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:05 am
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______.

A. large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
B. large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
C. small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
D. large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
E. most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects

I've couple of doubts in this question. Can someone help please.
- What is the conclusion?
- What kind of question is this? Main point, assumption, paradox, strengthen, weaken, etc?
- How the ans choice is solving the question?

[spoiler]OA: B[/spoiler]

Thanks in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ranjeet75 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:22 am
Confusing.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ronkthomas@123 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 am
hey gmatIntent,

The answer IS slightly confusing definitely....

IMO, this is one of those "find the conclusion" questions disguised as a "complete the passage" question....
So,....let me try an answer ur 3 doubts

1) The conclusion is what we should find out- it shud try and thread together something with respect to the moths temperature or/and capability of it to evade predators
2)Conclusion()
3) Rather than trying to find out the answer which solves the question.....I tried to find out the answer which didnt solve the question, i.e. eliminate the wrong ones as follows:
A)- nothing related to maneuvering mentioned
C)- we are talking about the larger moths, not the smaller ones
D)- nothing said about wings and its proportion
E)- Large moths is not even in the picture...so this choice diverts us from the answer

OA is B- talks about temperature affinity of the large moths

Hope this shed some light......

Ron