This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Kindly Evaluate Profile

by anantsch » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 pm
Hi,
I have given GMAT twice:

1)oct '11 570(Q44 V 25)
2) Nov '11 720(Q49 V 40)

I am a computer engineer by qualification (64%) but have been in my family business for the past 2 years. We are into to solar energy sales and execution.

There are a few things which I feel are weak in my profile and I was wondering if u could evaluate them.

a) I was supposed to finish my grad in august 09 but finished in March '10 as I had to re-appear in one exam.
b) I started working in my family business in September '09 and in Feb '10 joined JWT (advertising) for 5 months as I wanted to work in a slightly more professional environment
and then joined back in July '10

I feel these might badly affect my profile. Kindly suggest as to what I should do.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:24 pm
Dear anantsch,

Without providing any context or explanation to your two items, then it is possible they will have a negative effect on your applications as you will allow the admissions committee to assume what happened/your reasons for these events. Thus it is imperative you provide the story through the optional essay, or other essays, on these two potential issues. With regard to item a, a brief optional or additional info paragraph will suffice; you simply need to note that coursework was completed in August 2009, but your degree was not awarded until March 2010 pending your re-appearance for one exam. It would also be helpful to note why you had to re-appear. As for item b, you will need to articulate your career path to date, offering solid reasoning behind your decision to leave JWT after only 5 months to return to the family business.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me