kaplan premier CR students

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

kaplan premier CR students

by arora007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 am
If participation in the honors creative writing class were limited to graduate students and those undergraduates who had received at least a B+ in composition, most of the undergraduate students would be forced to take the regular creative writing class. Such a reduction in undergraduate enrollment would reduce the percentage of failing grades in the honors class.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion drawn in Sentence 2 above?

(a)Graduate students have all scored at least B+ in composition.
(b)The honors creative writing course is experiencing overcrowding due to increases in graduate enrollment.
(c)Many undergraduates would work harder to score B+ in composition rather than he excluded from honors creative writing. (d)The number of failing grades in honors creative writing has decreased in recent years.
(e)Undergraduates who scored lower than B+ in composition are responsible for a disproportionate percentage of failing grades in honors creative writing.

This is a question from kaplan premier.

The OA is E but please carefully have a look at A.

The correct choice is no doubt a strengthener but the other choice which i mention, would it not count as a
Defender in the Supporter-Defender assumption model, if this were a assumption question.

I ask this question as there is a very thin line between an assumption and a strengthen question.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 am
Hi But the criteria for grad students is not mentioned at all
seems as if all grad students are allowed.
We are only concerned with how reduction inundergrad students brings down the proportion of falling grades
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:37 am
mundasingh is 100% correct.

The key to what you are asking is in the passage itself. Though the passage mentions graduate students, do graduate students really play any role in the conclusion? Absolutely not. The passage itself is concerned with limiting undergraduate enrollment to curb failing grades. Nowhere does it discuss graduate requirements now or in the future.

What happens if they restrict this to undergrads with a B+? Undergraduate students would be forced to take the regular class which in turn should lower the percentage of failures. Only E strengthens the conclusion.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 am
You guys make sense!! :)
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by fueledGMAT » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:17 pm
While writing my question I discovered something in this passage that made me do a double take (and incidentally helped me understand the answer).

When evaluating this question, pay special attention to the FIRST sentence. It is speaking about participation in a creative writing class. The evidence is referring to a composition class. I see a lot of people talking about the lack of scope, but to fully understand the lack of scope you must understand what the question is asking.

In this case, the question is specifically asking about failing grades relating to the creative writing class. Answer A relates instead to the composition class. There is no evidence to suggest that having a B+ as a graduate student in the composition class will have any effect on the creative writing class. This is what causes Answer A to be irrelevant. If you are not careful in understanding what the question is specifically asking, you could easily correlate Answer A with assuming good grades in the honors class, which is not the case.

Glad I was able to answer this one myself, and I hope others find this enlightening like I did.[/b]
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 am
Thanked fueledGMAT,although I choose correct one, I neglect the word 'composition' in choice A.