Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the rules in favor of clients; auditors may, for instance, allow a questionable loan to remain on the books in order to maintain a bank's profits on paper.

(A) clients; auditors may, for instance, allow
(B) clients, as an instance, to allow
(C) clients, like to allow
(D) clients, such as to be allowing
(E) clients; which might, as an instance, be the allowing of

Answer is A

Hi,

I really apologize if this question has been posted again. I am not able to understand why B is wrong ? I got few web links, and they all say it is a run-on-sentence. How can choice B a run-on-sentence. Isn't run-on-sentence occurs when two independent clauses are joined together with a comma, such as, I eat, I sleep is a run-on sentence ?

The first part Growing competitive pressures........in favor of clients is generalization and second part is an example of the generalization or supporting the first part.

Not sure why choice B is wrong. What about absence of "may" in choice B? Does this word also affect the sentence?

I eliminated this choice because i thought it is changing the meaning of the sentence. Second, there is no subject and verb.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Polka » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:53 am
first, sentence after the semicolon should be an independent clause. eliminate E
C,D are obviously not close
see the use of to in 'B' does make any sense, and who performs the action is not clear.
A seems perfect to me.

by sachin_yadav » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:05 am
Polka wrote:see the use of to in 'B' does make any sense, and who performs the action is not clear.
Do you mean to say that it is not clear whether the auditors are allowing a questionable loan or clients are allowing.....

One more question in choice B. Is "as in instance" correct in choice B ? because i think "for instance" is better. So if it is better, can't we eliminate choice B on this particular base ?

Please experts help on this choice...

Regards
Sachin

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:21 am
"As an instance" is not idiomatically the same as "for instance" (though one could construct an acceptable English sentence with "as an instance").

The infinitive "to allow" suggests purpose -- they are doing it IN ORDER TO ALLOW, which changes the meaning of the sentence (the allowing is supposed to be an example).

by sachin_yadav » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 am
Jim@Grockit wrote:"As an instance" is not idiomatically the same as "for instance" (though one could construct an acceptable English sentence with "as an instance").

The infinitive "to allow" suggests purpose -- they are doing it IN ORDER TO ALLOW, which changes the meaning of the sentence (the allowing is supposed to be an example).
Jim,

Thanks for you reply.

As you said in the previous post that "As an instance" is not idiomatically the same as "for instance", but the word "instance" explicitly means "an example of a particular type of action."

What if the choice B were

Growing competitive pressures may be encouraging auditors to bend the rules in favor of clients, as an instance, allow a questionable loan to remain on the books in order to maintain a bank's profits on paper.

then would this sentence be correct ? or Not sure who is doing the allowing, auditors or clients ?

Please reply.

Regards
Sachin

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by fueledGMAT » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:21 pm
I got answer A in 22 seconds.

It just seemed right and the others did not make grammatical sense to me. Not sure I have a better explanation.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:28 pm
No, it would not be correct.

1) "as an instance" cannot replace "for instance" idiomatically (Google the phrase "as an instance" if you don't believe me -- it is "X as an instance of Y")

2) the "allow" part doesn't follow well from the rest of the sentence.

by sachin_yadav » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 am
Jim@Grockit wrote:No, it would not be correct.

1) "as an instance" cannot replace "for instance" idiomatically (Google the phrase "as an instance" if you don't believe me -- it is "X as an instance of Y")

2) the "allow" part doesn't follow well from the rest of the sentence.
Thanks Jim. You are fantastic.

Regards
Sachin

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by teal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:37 pm
What is the difference between - " as an instance" and " for an instance" ? As mentioned above, it seems both are idiomatically correct.