GMAT - Strategy for Re-taking

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT - Strategy for Re-taking

by nutsngum » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 am
I wrote my first GMAT attempt in April 2011 (47/36 - 680). At this time I wrote a bunch of practice exams and was scoring around that same range so this was a fairly accurate result based on my test results at the time.

I'm thinking or re-writing as I would like to increase my chances to get into Kellogg and Tuck. What strategies would you recommend for tackling this the second time around?

Obviously it's been a little while since I wrote so I'll need to get my bearings again. The first time around I did the Manhattan GMAT book prep and CATs, as well as the official sample CATs.

Should I enroll in a program? Are there specific things I need to focus on?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:32 pm
Did you do Manhattan GMAT's Sentence Correction Guide? Super money for me.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:770

by IJR » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:39 am
Take 10 of the math tests at gmatclub.com. They all contain 700+ level questions, so if you can get your head around those questions, you should be able to take your Quant abilities to the next level. Also, try the Powerscore CR Bible. I thought that book was top notch.

by nutsngum » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 am
Can anyone recommend a tutor company in the Toronto area?

by nutsngum » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:08 pm
IJR wrote:Take 10 of the math tests at gmatclub.com. They all contain 700+ level questions, so if you can get your head around those questions, you should be able to take your Quant abilities to the next level. Also, try the Powerscore CR Bible. I thought that book was top notch.
I see 25 tests? Are there specific ones that are the +700?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:770

by Luke.Doolittle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:40 pm
nutsngum wrote: I see 25 tests? Are there specific ones that are the +700?
They're all challenging but I found 17-25 to be abnormally so. If you are already scoring high in quant and just want some great, tough questions, start with exam 17 and go up.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:41 pm
Hi nutsngum,

Although this is not a specific strategy on how to improve your score, one thing I want to address is how admissions teams see your GMAT exam.

On your business school application your GMAT score is self-reported- you will report your highest score. When admissions teams review your application, they will focus on your best GMAT score.

For this reason, you should not be worried about having to take the GMAT a 2nd or 3rd time. Often nervous candidates tend to under perform on tests because of anxiety.

Hope this was of help. Additionally, here are some free GMAT tips: https://www.stacyblackman.com/tag/gmat/

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by nutsngum » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 am
Quick question for everyone, i'm going through PS again and reviewing the math strategy, given that I have a decent grasp on the concepts is it worth the time going over the OG questions? Or should I focus on spending my time on more difficult Quant questions at this point?