Computer Crashed on test day - Q32 V44 (630)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I wrote the GMAT yesterday morning. The AWA went smoothly, took a short break and then started the Quant. About 30 minutes into the section, the computer network CRASHED and the computer froze up. It took about 20 minutes or so for the staff to fix the system, and then when it came back online I had lost about 6 minutes. So I was quite rushed at the end and guessed on a bunch of questions rather than not completing the section.

My quant scores were never very good anyway, but I suspect that I lost a few points as a result of the computer problem. My most recent GmatPrep quant score was 36.

I was told that the testing center would send a "report" to Pearson Vue, but that the computer problem wouldn't show up on my official score report. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
richs_ca wrote:I wrote the GMAT yesterday morning. The AWA went smoothly, took a short break and then started the Quant. About 30 minutes into the section, the computer network CRASHED and the computer froze up. It took about 20 minutes or so for the staff to fix the system, and then when it came back online I had lost about 6 minutes. So I was quite rushed at the end and guessed on a bunch of questions rather than not completing the section.

My quant scores were never very good anyway, but I suspect that I lost a few points as a result of the computer problem. My most recent GmatPrep quant score was 36.

I was told that the testing center would send a "report" to Pearson Vue, but that the computer problem wouldn't show up on my official score report. Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Well obviously the GMAT centre is at fault over here. You need to call the Customer service and let them know about the situation, they should be able to guide you through what needs to be done. You should find the customer service number on the website.

Regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue May 06, 2008 6:21 pm
You have an excellent case for a "wipe and rewrite", if that interests you.

Contact GMAC immediately and let them know about the situation. If it determines that you were faced with unfair testing conditions (which you were), it will offer you the option of wiping your score and rewriting for free.

The sooner you make the claim, the more likely it is that you'll get relief. GMAC never adjusts scores, so that's not going to happen, but the wipe/rewrite should be offered in your case.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by richs_ca » Wed May 07, 2008 6:18 am
Do you think its worth redoing? I figure if I redo it, my verbal score is unlikely to change as I got a 97th percentile. As for the quant, which has always been weak, i imagine I could go from a 32 to maybe 35 or 36, which would bring me to about 650 instead of the 630 that I scored. The school where I'm applying to has an average score of 615. Any chance that GMAC will simply make a note of the problem on my official score report?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by wawatan » Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 pm
i don't think it's worth redoing then. there's also a chance if you take it again, your verbal score will go down since you are scoring in the 97th percentile. just call your school up to see if your score is acceptable. if it's higher than the mean score, you'll probably get accepted

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Wed May 07, 2008 4:04 pm
It will help the community if you tell us which GMAT center this happened. I would definitely try to avoid it 8)