Good GPA Not So Good Gmat...

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Good GPA Not So Good Gmat...

by Hayek33 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:29 pm
Edit
Last edited by Hayek33 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:21 pm
Dear Hayek33,

Your GPA is high and a strong indicator you will be successful in the classroom. While your GMAT is a potential concern, it is possible you can balance it out with other parts of your application. I encourage you to determine if any of of the MS programs you are considering accept the GRE instead of the GMAT--you might fare better on it as the GRE is more like other standardized tests you might be familiar with. If the GRE is not accepted or you would rather not take the GRE, then try to determine what the average GMAT is for your target MS programs. Perhaps your score is not that far out of range or even in the bottom of the range? Finally, you want to submit a solid, overall application where one piece will balance/mitigate another when necessary. So, use all of the other pieces to your advantage to give yourself the best chance for admission.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Hayek33 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 pm
Thank you for your reply, Unfortunately none of my target schools accept the gre. I did notice however that some of the schools have an optional essay to explain areas of your application. Would you advise I try to explain my quant skills in some way here? Also a few of the schools I am looking at I am within the 80% range.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:49 pm
If you are in the mid-80% range for the MS program, then you are in the competitive range. However, you do need to highlight your quantitative aptitude and skills in other application pieces. So, I would encourage you to use an optional essay to address this potential concern, using evidence in your background that shows you have the aptitude and skills to make your case (i.e., undergrad academic performance, professional experience, etc.).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me