International applicant/ lawyer/ GMAT 690

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

International applicant/ lawyer/ GMAT 690

by LAGeorgeT » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:43 am
Dear Stacy,

I want to apply to Stern R2 and want to know my chances.

GMAT 690 (88%)
V 40 (89%)
Q 44 (66%)

I speak fluent Chinese and English, got my law degree (undergrad) from a top regional school in Asia. GPA was only 3.05/4 but I ranked within top 30% at graduation because my school traditionally gives low GPA. I was in the management associate program of an international bank before working as a lawyer. My current annual salary is comparable to those of average Stern MBA grads.

I want to get a MBA at this age (5 yr WE) because I want to go to a reputable school in the US, preferably NYC because I really love that city. I want to gain more exposure and broaden my skill set and knowledge so that I can be (more) ahead of the game when I come back to work in the legal industry. Also want to explore if I may have the chance to switch my career to banking at a later stage. I currently practice commercial law and do small/mid size M&A deals at work.

I know very well that my GMAT score is below average, and particularly week at the Quant section. Admission to Stern is very competitive I understand, but I hope you may advise me stood a good chance? or should I be less ambitious and consider another school (I dont have preference in terms of area, and are open to different options).

Grateful if you could shed some light!

Many thanks!

Gina

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 pm
Dear Gina,

Your GMAT is below average for Stern, but well within the competitive range. To give yourself the best chance, you will need a strong total package that makes a compelling case for your admission. Stern looks for applicants who understand the culture, will be involved, and have done thorough research. It will not be enough to say you want to go there because you like NYC. Likewise, you need to have focused, realistic career goals that show an MBA is the next step for you in your overall career plan. If you believe you can submit a great set of essays, glowing recommendations, and notable resume, then you should apply and see what happens. Of course, you should apply to more than one school and a mix of reach/reasonable/safety schools to give yourself the best chance of being in business school next year.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me