NYU Sterm MBA admission with really low GPA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Greetings all

I am interested in applying for the part-time MBA program at NYU Stern. Here are my stats-

1) Got my BS in from a large state school in 2002 with a sub 2.5 GPA. My grades in my major are closer to a 3.0.

2) Got a Masters degree in Finance from a second tier business school with a 3.5 GPA. (I tested extremely well on the GRE-close to a perfect score)

3) Have worked in an investment bank in the North-East for the past 4 years and risen through the ranks very fast.

4) I am not part of an underrepresented minority group.

Is there any GMAT score I could get that would give me a reasonable chance of admission at NYU's part time MBA program (assuming good essays and super recommendations)? I have neither the funds nor desire to quit working for 2 years to pursue the MBA option. The MBA application process is long and involved and I would rather not waste my time if my undergrad GPA is going to be an insurmountable barrier.

Thanks to all in advance for your views/advice/scorn.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed May 07, 2008 3:15 pm
Dear bigbossman,

I do think you have a good shot at getting into the part-time program at NYU if you can score in the mid-50% range for this program. You should be able to find the mid-50% range for the part-time program online or asking the admissions office directly. If you can score at or above the average GMAT, that would be ideal. However, I think if you can get in the mid-50% range, you will be competitive with strong recommendations and your work experience.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me