Hunnish Troops

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Hunnish Troops

by satishchandra » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 pm
In the mid-fifth century, Rome was threatened by hunnish troops who led by Atilla the Hun, demostrated his millitary superiority over the weakened, recently conquered city.

A.who led by Atilla the Hun, demostrated his millitary superiority
B.which, led by Atilla the hun, demostrated their military superiority
C.that atilla the hun led, who demonstrated his military superiority
D.that atilla the hun led in demonstration of their military superiority
E.that were led by Atilla the Hun, who demonstrated his military superiority

[spoiler] OA: B
I write the sentence using 'B'
In the mid-fifth century, Rome was threatened by hunnish troops, which, led by Atilla the hun, demonstrated their military superiority over the weakened, recently conquered city.

I understand "led by Atilla the hun" is a apposite modifier that modifies the noun troops. Fine
What are the subjects of verbs i'e' "denomstrated" and "conquered"? If it is common subject i.e. Troops? Why not 'and' is placed to seperate two verbs "denomstrated" and "conquered"? [/spoiler]

by ranjeet75 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:36 pm
I think, grammatically, E is also right.

But for the sake of meaning, B is right as the troops demonstrated the military superiority not Atilla the Hun

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by immaculatesahai » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 pm
Dude, the sentence your have written does not contain a "comma" before which. As a result even B contains pronoun error.

Rules of "which" are:
1. Which should always come after a comma
2. Which must refer to the noun that comes immediately before the
comma.

But, in the end when you write the sentence, you have included the "comma" !! By any chance have you missed the comma while typing out the choices ?

Now regarding your question at the end:

Ok, assuming that the comma is present in the sentence, then the subject of the verb "Demonstrated" is "troops" and the word "conquered" is functioning as an adjective (past participle) and it modifies the word "city".

Hope this helps.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by immaculatesahai » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm
ranjeet75 wrote:I think, grammatically, E is also right.

But for the sake of meaning, B is right as the troops demonstrated the military superiority not Atilla the Hun
Ranjeet,

E may appear correct at first, but if you see the meaning of the sentence you will realize that "it is the troops who demonstrated their military superiority and NOT Attila the Hun".

Followed by:2 members

by satishchandra » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 pm
immaculatesahai wrote:Dude, the sentence your have written does not contain a "comma" before which. As a result even B contains pronoun error.
Yes. I know :)
The question is from Kaplan800. They did not place a comma after troops. I think that should be a typo. I agree with you. A 'Comma' has to be there.
immaculatesahai wrote:But, in the end when you write the sentence, you have included the "comma" !! By any chance have you missed the comma while typing out the choices ?
I deliberately included a comma in my sentence becuase it has to be there.
I did not miss comma before. It's not given in Kaplan800.

immaculatesahai wrote: and the word "conquered" is functioning as an adjective (past participle) and it modifies the word "city".
Hope this helps.
Thanks. It helped. +1 Thanks to you :)
ranjeet75 wrote: I think, grammatically, E is also right.

Yes. Option 'E' is gramatically correct, but it distorts the meaning.