Calling all ESADE 2012 applicants!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Calling all ESADE 2012 applicants!

by baume7 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:09 am
I figured this could be a place where we can all help each other out during the application process.
Post which programs you're applying to, where you are in the application process, any questions you may have, and your profile!

I'm applying to Msc Marketing Management + CEMS. I've sent in all my documentation and finished the online app, but my Intranet page still says all the docs are pending. Anyone with the same problem?

Filipino/Spanish
640 GMAT
3.54 GPA, graduated Cum Laude, top 10% of graduating class, Valedictorian candidate from one of the top 3 universities in the country
Double major in Communication and European Studies with a Business track
Minor in Hispanic Studies
5 years on the Varsity Softball team, 1 year as Captain, named Rookie of the Year
Member of various university organizations
Ambrosio Padilla award finalist
Director's List (top 2% of applicants to my university)
1 month full-time internship at a Cannes-awarded advertising agency
Months of being a contributing writer to magazines
Finished a course at the ISLA Spanish Language School in Salamanca, Spain

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:58 pm
baume7, sorry that we can't answer your questions about the online app saying "pending" - hopefully someone else can respond to that.

The reason we're replying here is that it sounds like maybe you're just graduating from college, in which case we were wondering if you'd considered the IESE Young Talent Program? Your GMAT score might be a little low but otherwise it certainly looks like you could have an appropriate profile for them.

What other programs are you considering?

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by baume7 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:08 pm
Hi EssaySnark! Actually I graduated in March of this year from my first degree, but I decided to take a double major which I'll be graduating from in March of 2012. I've never looked into the IESE Young Talent Program though since I've been concentrating on Msc's. I looked at IESE initially but noticed that they only had MBA's. What would the benefits be of the IESE Young Talent Program compared to an Msc in Management? :)

I have applied to Msc in Management in the 5 SAI schools as well as in IE (aside from ESADE).

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 pm
Great question, baume7!

Different Msc Mgmt programs are somewhat different in terms of their focus and goals, however many of them are essentially the first-year "core" of a standard MBA curriculum. So in many cases, there is a lot of overlap in terms of the subject matter (finance, accounting, marketing, etc.) -- the main difference is that the Msc programs are obviously tailored to the younger student, many of whom may not have much/any work experience. A standard MBA class would have a higher level of experience among the students. And, the MBA is usually a two-year track (many European MBAs are 16 months or so though -- they just get through more stuff in less time! and many of them do not have an internship, whereas US programs almost always do).

OK we may be confusing things here - because the IESE YTP program is unique. It's a 2-year MBA (IESE is unlike some other European programs in this regard), however YTP has a specific structure that has work experience built in. If you're accepted, you'd graduate from your current academic program and spend time at IESE that summer, then that fall, you'd go to work! A variety of companies work directly with IESE (or you can get a job on your own) and they have a lot of support for the students in transitioning into their first jobs. Then, after two years in the workforce, you have a reserved spot in the next entering MBA class at IESE.

So it would work basically like this:

March 2012 - you graduate with your awesome double major
Spring 2012 - you look for a job (with the help of IESE)
Summer 2012 - you spend a week in Barcelona (yay!)
Fall 2012 - you start your awesome new job!
Summer 2013 - back to Barcelona for a week (yay again!)
Fall 2014 - you start your MBA at IESE
Spring 2016 - you graduate with your MBA

The main benefit (besides the great career support stuff) is that you end up with an MBA -- which is seen by some to be "better" than the Msc. In fact, many people go for the Msc straight out of school with the plan to get their MBA later on, after they've accrued some work experience. The MBA is more universally accepted as "the" business degree. You can (theoretically at least) go more places with it. It's a minimum requirement for some more advanced career positions; the Msc in Management *might* be deemed sufficient but it's not the same.

Anyway, that was a lot of info - hope it helps! The Msc is a fine option but there may be other choices to look at, too.

If other questions come up, just let us know!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!