Do I stand the chance for the Richard Ivey School of Busines

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Stacy! I'm a Lebanese with a Canadian permanent residence who wishes to gain acceptance to Richard Ivey School of Business in Canada. Here's my background:

1) Graduated from the best and the oldest undergraduate hotel school in the world, in Switzerland. My overall GPA for the last 2 years is 3.0

2) GMAT 590 (Q47 V25)

3) Worked for the Hilton hotel chain as a sales executive and then promoted to a sales manager. My overall years of experience with the hilton is 5 years. Then I moved to work for a food supply company as the Asst. Director of Sales for another 2 years and I'm currently with this company.

4) Extra curr. activities: joined the volleyball and rugby team during my undergraduate studies. Then I continued to join a basketball team during my work with the hilton. In addition, I volunteered to help out high school students create their own business concepts and was their mentor while creating and running their business.

Do I stand the chance with Ivey? I really look forward to hearing from you!
thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:17 pm
Dear mbaseaker,

The Ivey School is a solid program and a great choice. However, I do have concerns on your profile based on your post. I think you have a chance at Ivey, but it will take a great set of essays and recommendations to convince the admissions committee to pick you out of the applicant pool. Your GPA and GMAT are below average for Ivey. As such, you must show that you are a compelling candidate that will add value and offer something unique to the class. I think your hospitality industry experience could be an asset in this regard if you can show your progression and accomplishments effectively. Finally, your rationale for why you want your MBA and why Ivey is critical to your application.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lindsay0032 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 pm
I got in, found out today. I have the CFA, 4 years work experience and a gmat of 640.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shekhar-tripathi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 am
Hi,

My profile is as follows:

GMAT: 630 (Q:48, V:28)
GPA 6.1 on 10 (From Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani - ranked in the top 10 universities in India)
Work Experience: Currently working as an ERP(PeopleSoft) Consultant with a company in the BIG4. Have completed 1.5 years and am currently leading a client project (Team of 8 people).
Have experience in the Non-profit sector in various social organizations and NGOs.
Extra-curricular activities:
Have played Field Hockey for my college
Have won various business plan competitions

Colleges i wish to apply
1) Richard Ivey School of Business; University of Western Ontario (Apr 2013)
2) Rotterdam School of Management; Erasmus University
3) IE Business School (Sept 2012)
4) IESE Business School (Sept 2012)

I would request your feedback on my profile and my chances of getting through the above mentioned schools.

Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar.

PS: Please find my resume attached.
Attachments
Shekhar Tripathi.doc
(71.5 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:55 am
Dear Shekhar,

Your profile is in the competitive range for your 4 target schools; however, you will need a compelling application to reach a positive decision. As such, you need great essays, recommendations and interviews to distinguish your application from the many similar applications in the pool. Likewise, you need to offer specific reasons for why each program is a good fit for you relative to your career goals and culture.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me