Who should I choose as references for my MBA application?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am applying for the University of Minnesota's Carlson Part Time MBA program this fall, and had a question about who I should pick as references.

The application requires two references, one from an immediate supervisor. I have asked my supervisor to submit one already, but would like to know who I should ask for the second recommendation. Should it be another co-worker from work, or perhaps someone from an extracirricular activity? I am quite active in my church and could probably get a recommendation from my pastor, or other character reference.

I'm just wondering what admissions counselors like to see more, professional recommendations or a mix between that and personal references,

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:20 am
The two required recommendations should both be from professional sources, unless otherwise stated. A character reference, should you deem it necessary, may be useful as an optional recommendation, provided it will show qualities that business school deem crucial. Choosing to submit an optional recommendation will also reflect on your judgment, for better or worse.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

Letters of Recc

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat May 03, 2008 7:02 pm
Hi Jelt,

Great question. Choosing the 'right' recommender can be an issue for applicants, as many assume they need to find someone with a big title or an alumni of the program.

They key is to select someone who knows you well enough to discuss your strengths and areas of weakness. A direct supervisor is a good option.

For your second LOR, I would select the person you believe will best champion your candidacy. With respect to the extra-curricular contact, does the person have a high position? Have you worked with him/her for a long period of time in which he/she can comment on your relative strengths and weaknesses? Using this person could offer a different perspective of your background vs. your direct supervisor.

With the co-worker, would that person offer a different perspective? Or would they mirror the same comments from your direct supervisor?

In the end, go with the person you believe will best represent you -

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep