Profile Evaluation and pre-application prep suggestions

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hello all,

I have used this web site a lot during my GMAT prep so once again I am looking for some guidance on my MBA journey.

Facts:

Indian/IT/Male (8 years experience in a large product development company currently in UK)
Current profile - support+consulting (90% Techie), Team lead, Region lead
Team/EMEA Region Lead Accountabilities - indirectly (no managerial responsibilties)responsible for managing team readiness and also the YoY team projects
Outside of work - Local community School governor and member of the finance and personel team of the governing body
GMAT - 700 (Q49, V35, AWA 5.0) (March 2010 - Will it matter if I use this in 2012??)
International WE - 4 years in UK, and lots of travel for work to Europe and America.

Acads - very good (all in India but some schooling done in middle east)

Plan:
MBA to move into MC or Business development focussing on Technology sector.
Aiming for class of 2013 due to personal commitments.

As I am changing careers I have finally decided to do FT rather than executive which is what I was planning earlier. Any comments?

I am aiming for the following schools:

A. LBS
B. Oxford (Said)
C. Cambridge (Judge)

Do you think these schools are within my range?

Also, what can I do from now till mid 2012 to improve my chances? I was thinking of taking the GMAT Business Ready course and the Harvard online course in Finance and accounting as I have no prior experience in these areas. Any suggestions?

I look forward to hearing from you.

thanks,

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:33 am
Hi sunil_snath--

It sounds like you're doing all the right things to get ready for an MBA -- and it sounds like those three schools in the UK could be a good fit for you. You're starting to be in the "older" category for many schools but you're still in range for the ones you've listed. LBS, as you probably know, is the most competitive of the three, and there will be a lot of candidates "like you" applying. The big advantage you have is that you're already in the UK; many Indian tech candidates are applying from India, and it can be harder for them to articulate reasons why they would need to go to Europe for the education (same is true for Indians applying to US schools who've never lived/worked in America).

The GMAT score is fine though it's not helping you stand out either. Now the good news is that LBS and those other schools aren't as hung up on the GMAT score as the US schools tend to be; they are going to be looking for lots of other stuff in your profile, so you have an opportunity from now till then to build up other areas, for example leadership and community involvement.

One of the best ways to prepare for a bschool application in the future is to really study the essay questions that your target school is asking this year, and see how you would answer them today. If you don't have good stories to present in any particular area, then you know where to focus in the next year! For many people, some of the harder LBS questions are focused on culture and international experience. Maybe you'll be fine there since you've already lived abroad and had the experience of assimilating into a Western culture. You should check those out to see what you'd say in response to them today.

Your GMAT test from 2010 is valid for 5 years so you are fine with using it to apply in 2012. The one downside is that the percentiles are recalibrated every year based on the current crop of test-takers, and so your verbal and quant may be stronger or weaker accordingly. For example, the 49 Quant was an 87% in 2010 but it's an 85% today; interestingly though, the 35 Verbal actually represents a better percentile ranking this year (73% to now 74%). These rankings will undoubtedly change again next year, not by a lot, but it's something to be aware of. The score itself will be valid however, and a 700 is in range for any of the schools you've named.

It will be up to you to present compelling stories in the essays though! That's true for anyone, and it can be an even bigger challenge than the GMAT was for many candidates.

Hopefully we've covered all your questions but if we missed something, just ask!

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sunil_snath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 am
Thanks Essaysnark. There are a lot of hidden gems in your reply which is quite useful to me to improve myself and my application before next year.

I like your idea on writing the essays for this year for my schools of choice to see where I am and if neccesary get involved in plugging the gaps.

I will also get started by taking the courses I mentioned earlier.

Best Regards,

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 am
sunil_snath wrote:I was thinking of taking the GMAT Business Ready course and the Harvard online course in Finance and accounting as I have no prior experience in these areas.
Whoops, forgot to respond to this part - Yes, sunil_snath, it could help to take these classes, just so that you're not completely lost when you start the MBA -- but you don't really have to. If you did well in undergrad, then you should be fine on Day 1 of your MBA. The pace is quick and the courses move very fast, but they do not expect you to have had any background necessarily in these topics. It absolutely won't hurt of course - it'll help you get that much more out of the MBA if you have some foundation. You could go for the GMAT Business Ready or maybe one we've heard of called MBA IQ, which seems to be a similar pre-MBA course.

Let us know if you have other questions!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:23 am
Hi Sunil,

All these schools seem to be very well in your range. Now it will depend a lot on how you represent yourself in the essays. Since you are from an IT background which is the most competitive Indian male pool make sure you differentiate yourself well from other candidates. You seem to have a global work experience so make sure you play that card well. Regarding your GMAT score validity it is equally good to use the score in 2012. The courses you mentioned are good and will highlight your quest for learning in your profile
All the very best. Do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 pm
sunil_snath wrote:Hello all,

I have used this web site a lot during my GMAT prep so once again I am looking for some guidance on my MBA journey.

Facts:

Indian/IT/Male (8 years experience in a large product development company currently in UK)
Current profile - support+consulting (90% Techie), Team lead, Region lead
Team/EMEA Region Lead Accountabilities - indirectly (no managerial responsibilties)responsible for managing team readiness and also the YoY team projects
Outside of work - Local community School governor and member of the finance and personel team of the governing body
GMAT - 700 (Q49, V35, AWA 5.0) (March 2010 - Will it matter if I use this in 2012??)
International WE - 4 years in UK, and lots of travel for work to Europe and America.

Acads - very good (all in India but some schooling done in middle east)

Plan:
MBA to move into MC or Business development focussing on Technology sector.
Aiming for class of 2013 due to personal commitments.

As I am changing careers I have finally decided to do FT rather than executive which is what I was planning earlier. Any comments?

I am aiming for the following schools:

A. LBS
B. Oxford (Said)
C. Cambridge (Judge)

Do you think these schools are within my range?

Also, what can I do from now till mid 2012 to improve my chances? I was thinking of taking the GMAT Business Ready course and the Harvard online course in Finance and accounting as I have no prior experience in these areas. Any suggestions?

I look forward to hearing from you.

thanks,
As early as 15 years ago, applicants had around 2 - 3 years experience. 25 years ago, most went straight from college. Now 8 is not at all unreasonable. It simply depends on the post MBA goals and when you were ready for the course.

Your core X factors in that order:
International exposure(specially UK)
Since you are not looking at career change, that will help the Adcom consider a safe bet. Post MBA goal description is good theme.
To improve your chances, as an IT guy, look to benchmark yourself as a professional achiever, who has always been appreciated by the team and the clients, won a few prizes, feathers.

Position yourself personally. This I can comment when I see the behavioral aspects, EC's of the profile. Send a mail to me.

Put up strong essays and I dont think you will have any difficulty.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."