Preparation Strategy based on first mock CAT score

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I am starting to prepare for the GMAT now and plan to take the test during May 2012. I just took Manhattan CAT exam and following are my scores:
TYPE SCORE ESTIMATED PERCENTILE RANK
Quant 40 61 %
Verbal 13 5 %
Total 450 23 %

Please help me formulate a strategy and a plan that would help me achieve a target of 720+.

Thanks and Regards
Sagar

MBA Student
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:760

by therealtomrose » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:59 pm
Your first CAT doesn't mean much. On the first test you're still getting the lay of the land. You shouldn't take too much out of it beyond trying to predict whether you are stronger in quant or verbal.

In your case, it appears that you are stronger in quant. (Use the percentile rankings, the raw score is meaningless.)

To score a 720, you will need to make substantial gains in both categories, but in your case, the real battle will be fought in verbal.

If you're a non-native speaker, the journey to the 80+ pctile verbal score that you'll need will be slow going, so get started early. The hardest mountains to climb will be:

(1) Idioms. Start memorizing the most common idioms now. There are about 60 commonly tested idioms on the test. Get a list and start reviewing it nightly.

(2) RC. You need to practice reading for thorough comprehension. The only way I have ever seen people make gains on the order you are proposing is to have a native english speaker review RC passages with them on a regular basis. I recommend an inexpensive, non-gmat, writing tutor. Why someone inexpensive? You need to purchase hours in bulk. Several hours a week will get you started.

T
Like the advice? Remember to click the "thank" button. It's my only source of gratification :)

-Tom Rose

MIT Sloan MBA, Class of 2011
The MBA Show: https://www.TheMBAShow.com

Full disclosure, I work for
ManhattanGMAT: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-tutor-rose.cfm

by sagar007 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:11 pm
Thanks a lot Tom.
You are right when you say that real battle for me is in verbal.
I will be working on the suggestions you mentioned.
I wanted to let you know about my study material. I have Manhattan Verbal package(Includes 4 books), OG - 12, OG for Quant and Verbal.
I am planning to do verbal from Manhattan books, can you also prescribe me other RC sources.

And one more thing is - What should be the best way to practice RC passages.

Thanks and Regards
Sagar
Last edited by sagar007 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Student
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:760

by therealtomrose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:15 am
For you I recommend the following:

(0) I'll assume you have read the MGMAT RC guide basic section. If not, then that should be your first step. (I recommend that everyone skip the advanced section.)
(1) Work from the OG12th.
(2) Start from the lowest level RC passages.
(3) Read the passage in 3 or 4 minutes depending on passage length. Simultaneously have a well-read, native american read the same passage.
(4) Take notes on the passage using one of two frame works: MGMAT Short Passage, or MGMAT Long Passage
(5) Then, compare your notes with your partner and discuss the passage for full understanding.
(6) Answer questions with 1min on the clock.
(7) Compare your answers with your partner.
(8) Repeat.

T
Like the advice? Remember to click the "thank" button. It's my only source of gratification :)

-Tom Rose

MIT Sloan MBA, Class of 2011
The MBA Show: https://www.TheMBAShow.com

Full disclosure, I work for
ManhattanGMAT: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-tutor-rose.cfm

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:05 am
Hey Sagar,

I suggest you to brush up your math skills for a day or two and then give GMAT prep1 or atleast powerprep. Third party CATs won't give you the real picture. Take GMAT prep1 and then post the results. That would be much better.

Having said that, anyone can see that you need to improve substantially in verbal. The good news is that you are starting early. Verbal skills can't be acquired in a month or so. You are supposed to accumulate them through out your life. But to get a decent score in GMAT verbal, three months is enough. Trust me, many non-native speakers start their verbal at the same level as yours.

Anyway, I suggest the following:

RC

Don't read any books as of now. Start reading new york times, new yorker etc on a daily basis. Once you are through with the other parts of your verbal preparation, start practicing RCs

SC

First get any grammar refresher book. You don't need a comprehensive book like wren and martin; a simple refresher will do.

After that start with Manhattan SC guide. It is the best resource out there. Period. It will take lot of time to go through the book and grasp what is written in it. Take it slow. Read chapter by chapter, get a sense of what it is saying. Do the OG questions at the end of every chapter.

CR

Get the powerscore CR bible. Go through each and every topic. Start solving CR questions. I suggest you to start with the CR preparation first. Verbal section is 80% logic and 20% grammar. If you master CR, it is going to help you immensely in both RC and SC.

Don't forget to take GMAT prep1 before starting your prep. Then only you can effectively create a plan for yourself.
My journey towards the MBA: https://theroadlesstravellled.blocked/

by sagar007 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 am
Thanks Raj for the tips.
Yes, I believe doing CR is a crucial verbal and will improve on RC and SC also.
So, as per your instructions a newspaper daily - New York Times preferably coupled with CR bible will make a good start.

Alright. I will try this. And yes, revising on basic grammar will be a good to learn thing at this point of time when I am laying foundation of my preparation.

Thanks again and Wish you a Happy Diwali.

Regards
Sagar

by Stewartli » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:16 pm
I couter same problem now. Learn a lot from here. Thanks