The GMAT just beat me - sorta - please advise - 42/19

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Well today was the day. I woke up at 4:50, crawled out of bed, and prepared for the big day. The result: 510. 42 in math & 19 in verbal.

Verbal was a definite choke - the thing is I thought I was doing pretty well, so what happened?

I just ordered the Manhattan Sentence Correction & Critical Reasoning Bible to help improve this mishap.

Please advise.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 am
Sorry to hear that. Can you give more details of your prep? (what resources you used, what prep tests you took, what scores etc)..

This forum would be glad to help you out.

by jsilverstein » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:26 am
I took a Princeton Review prep class (the classroom experience).

I know that throughout the study process, I spent more time on the Math, but I did not think that my Verbal would drop so significantly. Actually, a few days before taking the GMAT, I scored a 39 on a Verbal Practice Test. Maybe I choked on the 1st 10 questions.

My next GMAT is scheduled for May 24. I've ordered a few Manhattan books to help with the study process.

by belva1996 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:01 am
Good luck on your next test!!

One thing that i've noticed from reading these posts is that most people who thing they did poorly in a section, usually get a good score. That's because they're getting the harder questions.

Whereas most people who think they did great in a section are likely making minor mistakes and not progressing to the harder questions. As a result they get lower scores.

My advice is make sure your getting the easy questions right. If you keep seeing questions that you easily know the answer to, you may be making silly mistakes which won't let you get to the harder questions.