Improving CR Score - Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Improving CR Score - Help

by ceoji » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:36 am
Hello,

I have significantly improved my RC score (almost to 95% accuracy) by following the help given here (e.g. summarizing, looking for direction changers, practicing RC on magazines etc).

However, my CR continues to flounder. I can pickup the right answers for most easy questions, however, i get most difficult questions wrong. These questions could be,
1. With slightly complicated question stem.
2. With question type different from the major types (strengthen/weaken/conclusion/assumption).
3. With a complicated argument.
4. With answer choices which strengthens/weakens/assumes/concludes/etc. in complicated roundabout way.

I need pointers / help,
With strategies that could improve my CR score?
How i could practice CR while not doing GMAT CR questions (e.g with magazines etc)?
Do i need to use flash cards?
How should i use flash cards?
Can you give a worked out example of mgmat's "A Must-Use Critical Reasoning Strategy"?

RC to me was a process type section i.e. if one has a robust / practiced process the score WILL go up. Is CR the same or does it have a significant memory element like SC? If so, how can i go about finding what elements i must commit to memory? Should i just stick to Stacey Koprince's "How to Analyze a Critical Reasoning Question" and in time I WILL see improvements, is that the case?

Too many questions here, i am sure some of these may have been answered elsewhere on the forum. Pointers to these posts will be great.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by vaibhavgupta » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm
ceoji wrote:Hello,

I have significantly improved my RC score (almost to 95% accuracy) by following the help given here (e.g. summarizing, looking for direction changers, practicing RC on magazines etc).

However, my CR continues to flounder. I can pickup the right answers for most easy questions, however, i get most difficult questions wrong. These questions could be,
1. With slightly complicated question stem.
2. With question type different from the major types (strengthen/weaken/conclusion/assumption).
3. With a complicated argument.
4. With answer choices which strengthens/weakens/assumes/concludes/etc. in complicated roundabout way.

I need pointers / help,
With strategies that could improve my CR score?
How i could practice CR while not doing GMAT CR questions (e.g with magazines etc)?
Do i need to use flash cards?
How should i use flash cards?
Can you give a worked out example of mgmat's "A Must-Use Critical Reasoning Strategy"?

RC to me was a process type section i.e. if one has a robust / practiced process the score WILL go up. Is CR the same or does it have a significant memory element like SC? If so, how can i go about finding what elements i must commit to memory? Should i just stick to Stacey Koprince's "How to Analyze a Critical Reasoning Question" and in time I WILL see improvements, is that the case?

Too many questions here, i am sure some of these may have been answered elsewhere on the forum. Pointers to these posts will be great.

Thanks
Hey Ceoji,

Have u tried Powerscore CR Bible?
it is a very good book which discusses all the types of CR question and how to approach them. Also MGMAT's CR has also been liked by many. Try and see why are u getting the question wrong. maybe its a particular type (for example strengthen) that you are struggling with!! :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:20 pm
Try powerscore for learning how to approach the questions. Don't use too many strategies for CR. I found 'thursdays with ron' more informative. If you are having hard time comprehending the argument, try taking notes - write down the conclusion and premises. You will comprehend better. Initially it will be a boring task, take your own time to solve and once you start seeing improvement you will be interested to solve more problems. Then you will learn to cut short notes based on your needs. Your speed will also improve.

OG 12 Q96.

Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, are so efficient that Hotco will sell one to the Clifton Asphalt plant for no payment other than the cost savings between the total amount the asphalt plant actually paid for oil using its former burner during the last two years and the total amount it will pay for oil using the Hotco burner during the next two years. On installation, the plant will make an estimated payment, which will be adjusted after two years to equal the actual cost savings.

HB sells burner -> CP -> oil savings - 4 years - pymt.

Make it as short as possible. Any names use one letters Hotco Burners- HB cuz after 2nd min you will be working on next problem and you don need to remember those or use it for reference. Once you start practicing you will get used to make it much shorter than this :)

Which of the following, if it occurred, would constitute a disadvantage for Hotco of the plan described above?

Now you will be able to answer it easily i guess. :)

Check these links for Ron's reply on what to concentrate on verbal.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-prepa ... tml#403863
https://www.beatthegmat.com/550-to-720-i ... 72949.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-score-6 ... tml#403826

Hope this helps.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/