What step to take next

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What step to take next

by kid_amnesiac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:33 am
Hello!

I'm in a bit of a strange situation, so some advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's a snapshot

College: Reed College

Degree: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

GMAT: 660 (ick! Found out mom has cancer 3 days before test. I'm still a bit shook up)

Experience: 3 years of work experience doing programming and code development for a scientific computing company. For the last year, I have done sales and account Management for the same company. In both departments, I think I would have excellent recommendations

My "unique edge", if you want to call it that: I grew up an orphan, and lived in over 25 homes over a 15 year period. I find this relevant because I was forced to develop a lot of social skills, and how to work with varying expectations (whether they be from my schizophrenic roommate or staff members that ran the group home). I'm finding that the skills I developed as a youngin' are playing a critical role in the real world, especially when at work (working with customers, group dynamics, etc). Its also an incredibly unique perspective, which I think everyone can appreciate.

As for work stuff, I always figured that I wanted to do science (read: get a PhD), but then realized that I like don't necessarily like *doing* the science. I want to continue doing business with scientific products and concepts, though. I especially get excited for the entrepreneurial area of biotech, and I would love to work with small companies (developing products, markets, advertising, sales). I know that having an MBA isn't necessary in this respect, but I feel that in order to contribute in the circumstances that I want to dedicate myself to (i.e. smaller companies), then a general knowledge of many areas is needed, and simple work experience would be severely restricted in the opportunities it could provide me.

So! The question becomes, where do I stand? I want to get my apps in 2nd round, so there is a possibility of me retaking the GMAT, but realistically, I think I could score 710-720 at best (I'd probably score 690-700 on average). Should I retake? Are my background and work experience compelling? I've convinced myself to say "yes" to all of the above, but would appreciate some fresh ideas!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:02 am
Dear kid_amnesiac,

If you have time and won't sacrifice your essays, then retake your GMAT. A higher score certainly never hurts! However, if your 660 is in the mid-50% range of your schools, you have an above average GPA, and the rest of your application will be strong, then it might not be worth the investment of resources if you are feeling strapped for time/money. You need to evaluate where you are holistically, as that is how your application will be evaluated. Look at the class profiles for your target programs and compare your current profile, factoring in the strength of your essays, recommendations, work experience and possible interview. Then, think about what time you have that will not diminish other aspects of your applications. From there, you should be able to determine if a GMAT retake is warranted.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me