How are activities outside of work/school viewed???

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I'm planning on applying to the University of Hawaii's Japan-Focused MBA program. I'm wondering how extra-curricular activities apply to a B-school app. I volunteer at the Japan Society in NYC, as well attempting to learn Japanese on my own. Its not a requirement for the program, but I do it because its something I want to learn. Do you think showing my interest in Japanese culture/language will help a lot or be minor?

GMAT Instructor
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_RedSoxFan » Fri May 02, 2008 2:05 pm
It's hard to say. Hopefully an admissions employee at U of H could help answer that. It's hard to believe that many programs with all of the applications they get do more than quantify work experience, undergrad GPA and institution, and GMAT when they profile for admission.

One place you could see substantial benefits from your extra activities would be when you interview and seek a job. I always tell my students that there is life after the GMAT--it is merely a means to an end. In this case, I'd stress that there is life (a more important one, certainly) after b-school and that your activities will have life and career benefits even if they're not a factor in your application and admission decision.

Some of my life's most rewarding activities would be wildly inappropriate for a resume or application.
Ryan S.
| GMAT Instructor |
Elite GMAT Preparation and Admissions Consulting
www.VeritasPrep.com

Learn more about me