Should I take it or not??

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I take it or not??

by longeye20 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 pm
Hi All,

I am scheduled for the GMAT on Oct. 24th. My last score about 2 weeks ago was 560 (Q42,V25) Gmat Prep 1. Since then I have been working on improving Verbal. Also, reading on theory for SC & practicing CR, RC OG problems. Also, practicing some OG Quant problems on the side as well.

I plan to take a practice test (Gmat Prep 2) & if I scored around 600 or more, is it feasible to take the test on 24th or its too short of a time to get close to 700? I would like to apply for Jan deadline 2nd round (I know its a short time). I can alwasy take it towards the end of November again.

My 2 options are,
1) Take the exam on 24th. If I don't like the score take it again towards the end of November.
2) Don't take it right now since its too short of a time. Just take it Nov & focus more on long term preparation to target 700.

FYI, I have taken the Gmat once last March & scored horrible!!!
Again, I do plan to take practice Gmat Prep 2 day after tomorrow to see where I stand but that day would be my last chance to delay the exam with extentsion fee.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 pm
Rather tough situation, longeye20, and obv others can't really advise, but here's some input for you to consider:

You won't want to take the GMAT more than three times. Since you've already taken it once, you don't have the luxury of another "throwaway" or pure practice test. If you're not confident of how you'll do this month, then it might make sense to delay it, provided that you'll really be able to put in the required testing in the time between. (Sometimes people delay, thinking they'll have more time to prepare, and then it doesn't really materialize for them.)

The wrinkle is that you'll need to be working on essays soon, definitely starting in November, and it's hard enough to focus on just the GMAT *or* essays - trying to do both at the same time can be crazymaking!

So, we're not offering much in the way of useful advice here! But hopefully it gives you more to consider as you determine what to do.

Best of luck with it!!!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by vaibhavgupta » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm
longeye20 wrote:Hi All,

I am scheduled for the GMAT on Oct. 24th. My last score about 2 weeks ago was 560 (Q42,V25) Gmat Prep 1. Since then I have been working on improving Verbal. Also, reading on theory for SC & practicing CR, RC OG problems. Also, practicing some OG Quant problems on the side as well.

I plan to take a practice test (Gmat Prep 2) & if I scored around 600 or more, is it feasible to take the test on 24th or its too short of a time to get close to 700? I would like to apply for Jan deadline 2nd round (I know its a short time). I can alwasy take it towards the end of November again.

My 2 options are,
1) Take the exam on 24th. If I don't like the score take it again towards the end of November.
2) Don't take it right now since its too short of a time. Just take it Nov & focus more on long term preparation to target 700.

FYI, I have taken the Gmat once last March & scored horrible!!!
Again, I do plan to take practice Gmat Prep 2 day after tomorrow to see where I stand but that day would be my last chance to delay the exam with extentsion fee.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
I am almost in the same scenario and have actually decided to go for November, cos i am not going to apply at all if i get a less than a 650. I would suggest that u do not give the GMAT unless and until u r confident that u will be able to get somewhere near ur target score, as it is the last three scores are sent to B Schools.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mir.yahya » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:26 am
I suggest you wait for it till November. Honestly, you know the answer better than anyone of us here. Still, if I were you, I would prepare as much as possible and reappear after I have good confidence on myself.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:47 am
vaibhavgupta wrote:I would suggest that u do not give the GMAT unless and until u r confident that u will be able to get somewhere near ur target score, as it is the last three scores are sent to B Schools.
Just to correct something - we hear this frequently and it's a myth: The schools get *all* your GMAT scores when you submit to them - the entire history. They do not get just the last three.

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

by vaibhavgupta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:07 am
essaysnark wrote:
vaibhavgupta wrote:I would suggest that u do not give the GMAT unless and until u r confident that u will be able to get somewhere near ur target score, as it is the last three scores are sent to B Schools.
Just to correct something - we hear this frequently and it's a myth: The schools get *all* your GMAT scores when you submit to them - the entire history. They do not get just the last three.

EssaySnark
Ok.. i DiD not know this..

Thankss!! :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by longeye20 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:29 am
Thank you essaysnark, vaibhav & mir for you comments.

Vaibhav, yes we are in the same boat. I am really looking for score above 650!! close to 700 but at least above 650.

Here is my thought process behind the my previous post,
Taking the GMAT on 24th, is a fall back strategy for myself. If I scored a 630 & then I retake the exam in November & didn't score high (<650) for whatever reason but still decide to apply I can fall back on the score that I got from 24th (its like taking a chance with a low score!). What if I am sick in November or I had headach on the test day & if my score is lower than Oct score, I can still go ahead with my Oct score. I know sounds strange to think that way but again its a possibility!!

Also, guys, If I am delaying it what do you think would be a good time range should I delay for-- end of Nov, mid Nov, I know you can't be specific as everyone is different but just a general idea & a time enough to really bump up the score. I have delayed before for a month to month and half usually.

Again, thanks for all your comments & beat the gmat:)

by vaibhavgupta » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 am
longeye20 wrote:Thank you essaysnark, vaibhav & mir for you comments.

Vaibhav, yes we are in the same boat. I am really looking for score above 650!! close to 700 but at least above 650.

Here is my thought process behind the my previous post,
Taking the GMAT on 24th, is a fall back strategy for myself. If I scored a 630 & then I retake the exam in November & didn't score high (<650) for whatever reason but still decide to apply I can fall back on the score that I got from 24th (its like taking a chance with a low score!). What if I am sick in November or I had headach on the test day & if my score is lower than Oct score, I can still go ahead with my Oct score. I know sounds strange to think that way but again its a possibility!!

Also, guys, If I am delaying it what do you think would be a good time range should I delay for-- end of Nov, mid Nov, I know you can't be specific as everyone is different but just a general idea & a time enough to really bump up the score. I have delayed before for a month to month and half usually.

Again, thanks for all your comments & beat the gmat:)
Take the exam in accordance with the round deadlines of the college you are thinking of applying to. Also essays and recommendations, alongside TOEFL and others (i am supposing you are a non native speaker)

I have put up the date as 16th November for mine. 'cos i still have to work on essays and LOR. :)