Need some Strategy Advice

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need some Strategy Advice

by Mags112 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 am
So I'm a pretty average test taker. I'm way better on verbal than quant. I don't exactly remember what my verbal score was my last practice test, but my math is weaker. I scored a 30 on the quant on my last practice test. I am following the 60 day study plan, and I'm on the verbal section now, and I'm nervous that I should be spending my time doing more quant. I'm taking the exam November 28th so I have some time, but would a high verbal score save a not so great math score? My goal is to score higher than 600. I'm not sure if I should keep going with the verbal section, or do more math? I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about it! Any advice would be great!

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:21 am
Hey Mags112--

We'll let others chime in with more concrete strategy advice, but we have to respond to something that you said:
Mags112 wrote:would a high verbal score save a not so great math score?
Unfortunately no. Yes, you should try for a high overall score, but the quant/verbal breakdown is very important. The schools prefer to see a balanced score across the dimensions - and unfortunately, if there's a bias for one part of the test, it would be for the quant side, given how important those skills are in bschool. This is probably not the response you wanted to hear!

EssaySnark is no GMAT master so we can't advise whether you should devote more time to studying the quant instead of verbal - but it is important to do well on the quant if you're going for a top-ranked MBA program. You want to be in the 80th percentile (48) if at all possible - and yes that's a daunting score! We've seen plenty of people get into very good schools with scores in the 70th percentile (45-47) but the rest of your package needs to be super-strong if that's the case, and you'll need to be able to demonstrate quant proficiency in other parts of your profile as well if you're at that level or lower.

This test is brutal, we totally understand what you're going through!! You're in the right place in terms of having good support from others here at BTG. Hopefully they can also add some tips for you on how to improve the quant side.

Best of luck!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!