advice needed

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

advice needed

by rahul1699 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 pm
hey friends i just completed my engineering and i have no work experience ... so for what i should go for gre or gmat.... pls advice

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Depends on what you want to do.
GMAT is for management related courses and GRE for everything else. So its your call.
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rahul1699 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:25 am
thanx for answering .sir is the management course good for fresher ?

Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:39 am
Hi,

If you talk about MBA, a GMAT might not mean instant gratification. A GMAT score lasts for 5 years and and most schools need work ex (even ISB in India or any other school that accepts GMAT). So if you want to do an MBA you can give your GMAT now as you are still studying and concepts are fresh in your mind. The other way is to give the CAT and do an MBA. Again it is for you to decide if you want to pursue an MBA in India or abroad.

So I would suggest give the GMAT and get a job and then see where life takes you. You can use the score in the next 5 years so thr is no harm. Anyways GMAT changes next June so it makes complete sense to give it even if you decide not to pursue a course right now.

I hope it helps.
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:52 pm
Hi Rahul,

It would depend on the country where you're applying for a management course. In India with the exception of a few schools, an MBA without work experience is the common trend. However, if you want to want to go to U.S. or any other country for higher education then working in the industry is recommended.

Most of the schools abroad consider work-experience.

Once you decide where you want to go accordingly take the GMAT or CAT route.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:12 am
rahul1699 wrote:hey friends i just completed my engineering and i have no work experience ... so for what i should go for gre or gmat.... pls advice
sorry by mistake i clicked the thanks tab...
Anyway getting back to your queries.

GRE and GMAT are different exam both from syllabus content and scope for higher studies.Now which exam to take solely depends on what you want to do and what interests you. Please read these two articles :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/04/ ... or-the-gre
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/09/ ... e-new-gmat

As far as MBA is concerned in any global Business school ( including ISB), you do need work experience. If you want to go for MBA now then I would urge you to go for CAT/XAT and try for some top Indian business schools( India is the only place where you can go for MBA without job experience unlike abroad), but at the end of the day your priorities maters. The other option is that you can appear for GMAT now, since GMAT score is valid for next 5 years, and start applying after 2-3 years of relevant job experience.

Its important that you set up your priorities at this moment.

I hope this helps