Competitive for Harvard 2+2?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Competitive for Harvard 2+2?

by ADS1889 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:18 pm
Hi All,

I was hoping you could gauge where I would stand in a Harvard 2+2 admissions pool. I don't have a typical college experience. It could never hurt to try, but if this is completely out of my league I would like to know so please be straight forward.

Performed poorly in high school. Attended branch campus of well known university, but withdrew from the entire semester. Came back home, attended local community college for 2 years, only received a 3.7 (didn't earn an associate degree, just took classes to transfer). Was accepted to main campus of the previous well known university branch campus I attended. Now currently at main campus.

- Dual degree program earning a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with majors in Accounting & Finance and a Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Cumulative GPA of 3.98 (almost all upper level classes because I completed most pre-reqs and generals at the community college)
- 720 GMAT
- Started a charitable foundation and raised $50,000 to help high-performing students who would otherwise struggle to pay tuition transfer from 2 year schools to 4 year programs
- President of Accounting and Finance Honors Society (includes community service and peer tutoring)
- President and co-founder of Investment Banking Club (placed numerous members on Wall Street, includes community service to promote social responsibility and strong morals among members)
- Outstanding Student Leader Nominee
- Letter of recommendation from HBS alum who taught me in two MBA classes (took MBA classes as an undergrad)
- Letter of recommendation from Dean of undergraduate business school
- CFA Investment Research Challenge participant
- Investment Banking Summer Analyst in New York
- Plan to work in New York prior to HBS attendance
- One year of study left
- Caucasian male

Would my poor performance in high school and community college hinder me too much, or would I be able to spin it into a comeback story (do they ever even take those type of situations into account)? Honestly I believe I've always had the potential, but I had no direction. I admittedly wasn't ready to leave home for college. When I realized this I withdrew from the branch campus and enrolled at the community college. I still wasn't sure of where I wanted to be, but once I figured it out I was set. I've never been more driven and ambitious.

Investment banking is less of an "end" and more of a "means to an end." I was a tutor at the community college where I witnessed a lot of kids with so much potential settle for associate degrees because they didn't think they could afford four year degrees. This was the motivation for my charity. I would really like to take the charitable foundation I started (currently set up through a donor-advised fund) and transform it into a full blown non-profit. That's where HBS would come into play, and why I would prefer to do the 2+2 program to enroll as soon as possible and get the ball rolling.

If I include this back story, how much I learned on a personal level through my community college experience, and how I came to be where I am in my essays, would I be considered competitive? Or should I focus my efforts elsewhere?

Thank you for any opinions or advice you can offer.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by PKapadia23 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:59 pm
Hello,

I wanted to know how you felt about my chances in getting into Harvard 2+2. A little bit about myself:

College: Illinois Institute of Technology
Major: Currently a Junior majoring in Civil and Environmental Engineering, cum GPA is around 3.2
GMAT: 680 (practice only)

Work Experience:
-CFO/Founder and Head of Strategy of online international business. (www.globalpetals.com- November 2011). We aim to connect Ecuadorian rose farms to US clients. We sell roses in bulk to one time buyers, florists, and wholesalers. Manage international trade with Ecuadorian farmers, by allowing them access to US markets.
-Exelon Corporation: Lead Intern
-TCF Financial: Teller supervisor

Publications:
-Power of Voice: Author. Gathered data by interviewing more than 30 executive and government officials, politicians, engineers/scientists, and entertainers, and plan on turning it into a published book (January 2012)
- I've also had a student profile or short biography about myself published by my undergraduate institution.

Activities:
-KIEA Scholar: One of 20 engineering students selected to promote Leadership and to participate in Entrepreneurial endeavors. Attended and led many CEO conferences all throughout the country while completing a minor in Entrepreneurship.
-Finance Board Chairman: Highly selective committee serving as a financial adviser to school sponsored organizations.
-American Society of Civil Engineers: President. Organize campus wide awareness meetings for Civil Engineering students. Served as intermediary for undergraduate institution and Civil Engineering firms throughout the midwest.

Leadership:
-Collegiate Entrepreneurship Organization: Lead Presenter/Speaker: E-Commerce, Internet Pioneering
-American Society of Civil Engineers - Illinois Chapter: Head Society/Primary Contact
-Environmental Crusaders: President/Founder. Organized 50 engineering students to create new effective methods promoting sustainability local neighborhoods. Trained students on public speaking, idea generation, and effective communication when speaking with EPA community officials

I'm very skilled at public speaking and writing. I wanted to pursue a post graduate degree in environmental law, but would love to apply to HBS 2+2. My goal is to make a positive impact on society through effective leadership and communication. I still have some time to prepare for the GMAT; hopefully I can achieve an adequate score in order to combat my low GPA. I found Civil Engineering school pretty difficult, but I feel that I've gained much skill as a problem solver and critical thinker. I also hope to apply for the beatthegmat scholarship 2012.

Thank you for allowing me to share a little bit about myself. Consultant feedback is deeply appreciated!! :)

PS. How much better do you think my chances are if I had a "hired gun" or consultant to help me with my mba application???

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:13 pm
Dear ADS1889,

From your post, it would seem you have much of what HBS 2+2 looks for in its applicants: academic achievement, leadership, and a career plan between undergrad and HBS. Your nonprofit, in particular, is an asset to your application and might help differentiate you from the pool. You do not need to worry about nor address your academic performance in high school as anything prior to college is essentially irrelevant. Attending community college first and then transferring to a university is a common path, and nothing to be concerned about since you earned a 3.7. I do think you could write about your back story if you feel it was a defining experience for you, just be cautious and aware of style and tone.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:17 pm
Dear PKapadia23,

I think you have a shot at HBS 2+2, assuming you score well on the GMAT. I guess my concern is around your career goals, as you state you want to do environmental law. How does the MBA fit into that? What do you plan to do in the 2 years between IIT and HBS? You will need to have a solid rationale for an MBA and a career path to present in your applications to truly be competitive for the 2+2 program.

Good luck,
Lisa

P.S. I always think having a consultant assist with applications is helpful, but there are no guarantees or magic formulas in MBA admissions. :wink:
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me