Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake -CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake -CR

by abcgmat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:14 am
Mayor: Mayor: Downtown Rosco Lake is generally a clean area, but the Monday after the Fourth of July weekend, there was twice as much trash in the streets and parks as usual. Since downtown Rosco Lake is a major tourist destination on weekends, it must be the tourists who are littering.
The mayor's argument is most called into question by which of the following, if true?
(A) Usually community volunteers go through downtown on Monday mornings, picking up litter.
(B) There is a certain correlation between tourist traffic and incidents of vandalism in many towns.
(C) During other weekends in July, there were no unusual amounts of litter.
(D) The North Shore lakefront area in Rosco Lake is rarely visited by tourists, and has almost no litter, compared to the South Shore, which is a tourist area, and has lots of rubbish lying around.
(E) The nearby town of Graylord was able to control its litter problem by instituting large fines that could be levied against litterers

Ans:C
Would like to know why A is wrong...It is also convincing.
Usually, they pick up garbage on Monday . If they haven't on 4th july, that could be the reason
why there was twice the amount of garbage, and this also helps in proving Tourist are not responsible but people who had to pick up the garbage didnot do this weekend..are responsible

by abcgmat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:17 am
Is it bcoz C is better than A or Is something wrong with answer choice A

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:19 am
in your explanation you have assumed that volunteers didn't went on Monday. This is an assumption that you are making and nothing is mentioned about this.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by abcgmat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:18 am
Thanks for explaining this...now i understand better