Well sort of...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Well sort of...

by simonsays452 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:58 am
I have been studying for the test since late June through a Kaplan online program and a few sessions with a private Kaplan tutor. For my CATS I was consistently scoring between 610-640. My verbal was ALWAYS significantly higher than my quant. In verbal for my Kaplan and GMAT practice tests I scored in the 95% twice, 97% once and 99% once. On my last two CATS I scored a 680 with 97th percentile and 99th percentile in verbal. This morning I took the actual test and felt like I normally do after finishing quant and was decidedly rushed near the end of verbal (very unusual). Needless to say I scored a 670 84% (42 Quant - 59% and 40 Verbal - 89%).

My goal was at least a 680 (that middle 80% range). I'm all ready to click submit on my early decision app to Columbia but I'm 2nd guessing now. I plan to re-take the test in a month (hey it can't hurt) and update Columbia on the new score.

(Short background: great essays, great work experience, 3.4 from Vanderbilt with a poly sci and pre-med major) I'm confident in my non-quant pieces of my application but is a 670 strong enough to be competitive in the top 15 B-school range?

Any suggestions on quant intensive tutoring?

Signed,

Confused

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:54 pm
You're a lot stronger in Verbal than I was, so that's good. I can personally vouch for Total GMAT Math: www.totalgmatmath.com. Go through this book cover to cover and you should make solid gains in the quant portion. Create a schedule, and stick to it.

My first score was a 660 (44Q/38V), second was a disastrous 610 (41Q/34V). After using total GMAT math, my third attempt was the elusive 700 (49Q/35V).

A 670 is decent, but if you can make big gains on the quant side, you'll have no issues scoring in the 720-740 range.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am
Hi Confused,

As you know, Kaplan does offer tutoring! It sounds like our materials worked for you, and your score was 40 points higher than your average to start. We'd be happy to arrange a math-intensive tutoring plan if that's the key for you to beat the GMAT.

Let us know how we can help!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by winniethepooh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:16 pm
Hi confused.

Do you really want to take the test again?
There are 2 sides to it if you consider:
You may go backward in score or you may achieve your target score!

I hope you take a wise decision!

Hey would you be able to help me with some questions on the real test?

I am typing some questions please consider to reply as soon as you fetch some time!

How many RC Passages were you asked in the real test? The number of questions after each passage if you recollect?

How many CR paragraphs were asked?
Any type which was asked maximum?

Lastly(For verbal), How many SC questions and any area of focus in such questions?

For Quant, would you suggest any topic that was focused on quiet understandably by the test makers? Any idea on the number of questions in each PS and DS?