Help me with B-School short-listing

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Help me with B-School short-listing

by shikhargmat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:47 am
Hi,

First of all about myself:
1) Indian ,Male ,IT, Engineer, 7 yrs of work ex (mainly development, Business Analyst, technical lead and business development roles). Latest one is business development role.
2) 690 GMAT. 49Q, 34V
3) Extra curricular occasionally. Hardly any community service. But can justify it as I was busy with other non-professional things.
4) Academics: Quite good. 3.2/4.0 and got 99.86 percentile in exam for post graduation in engineering, but did not persue.
5) Goal: Product Mgmt (preferably in IT).
6) 1st preference Indian B-Schools.
7) Even if I go abroad, want to settle the loan and come back to India in max 3-4 years.
8) Preference is 1 year MBA but open for 2 year as well.

I had a look at top US B-Schools for Product Mgmt but problem is that even if I get through I feel I will not be offered a Scholarship.
Can you please help me regarding how should I short-list (keeping in mind that I want to come back to India in 3-4 years).
How good or how bad are the European options.
Can you please name a few where I will get a good overall development, will help achieve my goal, scholarship option is there and with a good market name.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 am
Dear Shikhargmat,

EU programs are an option you should consider, as are Australian, Asian and US. There are solid MBA programs in every region of the world; the question is which ones offer what you seek and meet your criteria. If you prefer 1 year, then your search will exclude most US programs which are the traditional 22 months. There are a few options in the US that are 15-18 months, but they might not meet your other criteria or you might not have the prerequisite business coursework. One way to identify potential programs is to look at where companies you aspire to work for post-MBA recruit at, as well as look at the placement reports of schools you are interested to see if those companies have hired graduates from those schools. You might also explore many of the joint US/Asian programs that have been established in Asia over the past 10 years to give you a highly respected name, but a more feasible location. Any accredited MBA program should offer a solid core curriculum, so you want to research the elective offerings to ensure the coursework is there to support your post-MBA career path in product management. For additional tips on identifying programs, you might check out our sticky on school selection.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me