Victim of GMAT!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Victim of GMAT!!

by moneyman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:12 am
Hello everyone,
I have been on this forum for more than a year now. I took the GMAT for the first time last year and scored a shameful 450. After that I took three months of preparation and scored a respectful 590. My second score got me admission into a decent B school but they did not give me any scholarship because my score was not that great. So I decided to give the GMAT another try and this time I did OG 11 once again and practised some questions from Arco(book is ridiculous). I gave my third attempt last month and I desperately needed a score of above 650 to be eligible for scholarships. I dont know what went wrong during the test and I ended up scoring a 480. I had the worse feeling ever because the odds were high and instead of impriving on my score I scored 110 points below my best score.
For a couple of days I did not talk to anyone and thought nothing could be done about it. With some inspiration from my family, I have decided to beat the god damn GMAT once and for all and prove my real abilities. I have booked an appointment on the 12th of May and I have exactly 17 days left. I used the foll books for my previous attempts:-

OG 11
Kaplan 800
OG Math Workout

I also took the tests provided by GMAC and have scored between 650 and 700 on some of the tests. I really need your suggestions and advice as to how I can power my preparation and have the right approach towards the test.

Recently I have been using the Manhattan strategy book for Math and Verbal and have found it pretty useful. I am average in Math and lack strategies for Verbal. All you gurus out there please help me out!! This is the 4th time I am giving this test so pls guys help me out!! Really need it!!
Maxx

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mleviko » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:45 pm
Hi Maxx,

Could you write all the previous scores you had in real GMATs and simulation CATs (PowerPrep/GMATPrep, PR, MGMAT etc.). Don't forget to add to split between Q and V.
Smashed the GMAT: 760

by moneyman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:21 pm
I used to practice only form the GMAC provided tests:-

GMATTestPrep 1 - 700
GMATTestPrep 2-680
GMATTestPrep (again) -610

I dont exactly remember the Q and V score but I always used to score above 42 on Q and from 30 to 35 on V. Never reached above 36 on V.
Maxx

by mbadrew » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:13 pm
Moneyman,

Don't give up. Just brush up on the basics. You can surely benefit from a thorough review of quant/grammar/verbal. Start from the scratch if you have to. Crack open the math and english grammar books. DON'T GIVE UP!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mleviko » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:09 pm
moneyman wrote:I used to practice only form the GMAC provided tests:-

GMATTestPrep 1 - 700
GMATTestPrep 2-680
GMATTestPrep (again) -610

I dont exactly remember the Q and V score but I always used to score above 42 on Q and from 30 to 35 on V. Never reached above 36 on V.
It looks as if something went wrong between your first mock exam and the third. What happened? did you have less time to review? did you lose confidence? something else?

Anyway, I think that you should restart from scratch, use some material that you haven't seen yet and solve a lot of practice exams on the way, at least one per week. You have GMATPrep and PowerPrep that you can write more than twice each.

Oops, I just saw that you have 17 days left. Can't you reschedule the test to have more time? say, a month and a half from now?
If you can't I would suggest that you focus on your weakest points and do a mock test almost every second day, also, don't forget to analyze every question you do, whether you got it wrong or right.

Good luck!
Smashed the GMAT: 760