Energy Bars

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

Energy Bars

by isisalaska » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:20 am
I heard is a good idea to have some power bars with you during the test, actually I am planning to start consuming them now, while I study for the test. Which ones are the best? :wink:
Isis Alaska

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:24 am
I strongly believe that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are the perfect standardized test food.

Eat a big PB&J before your test, and it will keep you going strong for the 3 hours--it worked for me!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:45 am
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

hey people, you are scaring me.

I clicked on the thread thinking that power bars is something related to excel sheets ..

but when i read these two posts...
OMG i never thought of this stuff :o

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by career_switcher » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:13 am
beatthegmat wrote:I strongly believe that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are the perfect standardized test food.

Eat a big PB&J before your test, and it will keep you going strong for the 3 hours--it worked for me!
Just personal taste? or is there research based reasoning for your high regard for PB&J?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:38 pm
Haha, no my recommendation for PB&J does not come from any rigorous research. It's just a snack that really worked for me.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wunderkind » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:25 pm
A word of warning on the power/protein bars....the energy bars with high protein can trigger serious stomach distress! Gas, an urgent need to go to the bathroom, or both. It seems to build up over time with some bars, but many can cause rather embarassing (and odiferous!) gas right away. I had a co-worker who used to eat them for breakfast, and whew!! LOL.

So try those out for at least a week to see how they affect you. But most definitely do NOT eat more than one a day.

I didn't do the PB&J trick, but a breakfast or lunch (whichever meal you're eating right before your test) that's focused more on protein than carbs will give you great mental stamina. Tuna works the best for me for lunch, and eggs for breakfast. I wouldn't recommend bringing either of those to the test center, though, so a PB&J is a good idea!

I am hypoglycemic and have to keep my blood sugar levels even. My best snacks: an apple, nuts (almonds, peanuts or cashews), granola bar, yogurt, and cottage cheese.

Make sure that whatever you bring as a snack, that you've eaten it enough before that you don't find out the hard way that it gives you a headache (nuts can do that) or upset your stomach. My first test was a disaster because I loaded up on too much protein to try to sustain my energy (I'd been sick as a dog for a week with an ear infection and was loopy), and had an upset stomach throughout the test. Needless to say, I bombed!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by greatman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:47 pm
I suggest grapes instant energy being full of glucose and easily digestable.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:06 pm
Protein, complex carbs, and a little fat. PB&J on whole grain bread is perfect, if you like it. Fat is great for making your brain hum. Be slightly on the hungry side rather than slightly on the full side - it will keep you awake. (But only slightly hungry - if your stomach is growling, that means you don't have enough energy!)

No sugary drinks or snacks - if it says high-fructose corn syrup, drop it! (That stuff won't last long enough - you'll "crash" before the test is over, even if you keep consuming during the breaks.) Sugar from a fresh-fruit-juice source is fine, but none of the fake stuff.

And no caffeine - it also won't last long enough and it's a diuretic. If you're not sure what that is, look it up... :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:02 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:And no caffeine - it also won't last long enough and it's a diuretic. If you're not sure what that is, look it up... :)
Haha :)

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

by wildrebel » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:23 pm
I personally used Glucose Biscuits, 2 bars of chocolate and water.

Also, use your breaks effectively. Time your peeing. (Sounds so wrong, but it's hard to avoid)

I think glucose biscuits are the best... energy, easily digestible, light.. etc etc.

For my Indian friends, I'm talking about good ol' Parle-G. For the rest of the world, find an equivalent of Parle-G- it rocks!

PS: Sorry for my absence everyone! I was enjoying my holiday a little TOO much! I'm back now though :D
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:56 am
wow i never thought such thread will be superhit.

till now i thought myself alien here :roll:
but thanks Nandan :D wildrebel :) I am into discussion now. :)
Parle G rocks really.

I am thinking of a bottle of water 500ml & a packet of 4 Rs. ParleG (4Rs = 0.085 $ )
Yeah thats right I am from India.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Dark Chocolate will be good.

by maxuser77 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:05 pm
Hello, all :)

I didn't know we can carry something to eat with hands on test room.

If possible, I recommended dark chocolate.

In Korea, Dark Chocolate, 52% or 72% cacao is included in, is the most favorite and useful thing for exam taker or students.

Theoretically, polypenol is abundant in Cacao and it will help wake up and stimulate brain while you take long period exam like GMAT.

Actually, my girl friend get its effectiveness while her 8 hours' national provided exam.

I wish my comment will be useful to you.

Bye.
Una Persona Non Posso Dimenticare.

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:15 am
maxuser77
No, you cannot eat and take the exam at the same time, not even drinking. You can eat and drink in your breaks, so use them! :)

Well...since I neither like chocolat nor peanut butter I will go with grapes or sugar cookies or something like that, but I don't want to eat something that will make me very thirsty either.

This is funny, but the other day I scored the hightest when taking a test I had beef stew for lunch, yeah meat and potatoes. I know, too heavy for breaksfast perhaps, but it helped a great deal! maybe i should have a breakfast steak :wink:
Isis Alaska

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by maxuser77 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:01 am
isisalaska

I appreciate to your advice. I agree with you. Heavy breakfast is the best way to strengthen one's stamina while taking exam. But, too salty food should be avoided.

Not much, but important poll it was, I think.:)
Una Persona Non Posso Dimenticare.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by 800GMAT » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:47 am
How about RED BULL....is it good to have it during the breaks...Does someone know how it affects the energy level and test performance :)